Chapter 37

Charles and I crept along the woods. It was several minutes later that I felt the presence of two vampires. 

"If you can't kill, knock them out." Charles whispered, "I'll take the right."

I nodded and we parted. I didn't want to kill anyone just because they were in our way. I didn't know for sure they were guilty, even with Burak's reassurance.

The two vampires did not expect any trouble tonight. They were both young, probably in their first century. Sneaking up behind them was an easy task.

I could see Charles slithering parallel to me. We reached them at the same time. Charles did not hesitate, his sword gleamed under the moonlight as it decapitated his target. The head fell in a spray of blood.

At the same time, my sword pommel had connected with my target's temple, knocking him down. I sheathed my sword and twisted his neck. The crack echoed in the woods. He was not dead. A broken neck did not kill a vampire. But he would be unconscious for hours, the time it took his body to heal the injury.

Charles nodded. "Let's go."

We moved forward, finding more guards. A vampire and two witches later, we reached an expansive clearing in the middle of which stood a large three story cottage.

"This is Santos' residence?" I asked Charles, scanning the house from the cover of trees. There were two vampires planted at the door, and more immortals walking the perimeter of the house.

"Yes."

"We should go back," I said.

"Tired of my delightful company, already?" Charles said, retracing our steps back.

I glanced at him. "you're being awfully chatty this fine evening."

His lips curled to  snarl. "What can I say? your presence brings out the best in me."

"Why in the world do you hate me?" I said.

"You hate me, too," was his evasive answer. What are we, five?

"You don't hate Irene, and she makes it clear she hates your guts."

My amusement grew when his eye twitched. I chuckled. he threw me a glare.

"Oh, loosen up. She doesn't actually dislike you," I said. He scoffed. 

"No, really," I continued, "she just hates the fact that you're handsome and strong and great with a sword."

His steps faltered. He kept his peace for a few minutes. His thoughts loud in the quiet forest. 

"Cat got your tongue?" I broke the silence. 

"No. just shocked that you're complimenting me." his tone dripped sarcasm.

I chuckled, "what can I say? you bring out the best in me."

I swear there was a genuine smile on his face before he turned his head away. Ah, look at me, bonding with Charles in a stroll through the woods. I wished Irene was here.

Arthur and Burak were already in our meeting place. Arthur's eyes scanned me , and the bond hummed, pulling on my magic. I kept it firmly in place.

"Took you long enough, blondies," Burak said. He was fond of giving cringe worthy nicknames.

Seconds later, we were joined by the rest. Burak rubbed his hands.

"Alrighty, ladies and gentlemen, let the fun begin," he looked at Arthur, "Santos is on the third floor. The rest of you will take care of the guards while Arthur and I will go for him-"