Chapter 21

The decision was one that would leave my mind vulnerable to one of the most powerful beings in existence. I had never thought that I would someday take this step willingly.

But there wasn't a decision to be made. Not really. I didn't have the luxury of time to think of an alternative, and I wasn't going to put anyone around me at risk, even at the cost of my own mind.

"Do it." I told him. I looked at Arthur dead on, my voice surprisingly clear and steady despite the violent way my heart raced in my throat.

Arthur raised his brows, "are you sure?"

I nodded, the motion jerky and curt, "yes. You only need to release enough of it so it doesn't overflow anymore, right?" I said, referring to my magic.

"Yes, but this is only a temporary solution. I will need to teach you how to control it, and it will mean more time in your head in the future."

"Fine." There was no other option

"Alright," he stepped closer, "close your eyes and don't push me out."

The moment I closed my eyes, I felt him come closer, his presence pushing against my senses. His palms were warm on either side of my head, and a second later I felt a subtle push in my mind. A gentle invasion. It took all my power not to lash out at it.

"Relax," Arthur said, his voice calm, "I'm not going to do anything you're not on board with. I'll do what I need and get out."

I couldn't relax, not completely. But when I felt his presence flare up in my mind, I didn't push him out. It felt exactly as it was, like someone else was in my head. His presence touched the part of my mind in contact with my magic.

The magic recoiled, sensing the foreign presence. I took a deep breath and tried as hard as I could to project a feeling of safety and peace.

It worked. The next time Arthur pulled on my magic, it went willingly, flowing down my arms to the tips of my fingers.

Arthur let go of my face. I opened my eyes to meet his. They were all black again, like that time in the hospital after we took the blood vow. No irises, no whites. He tipped his chin down, a smile creasing his cheeks, "Don't point your palms at me."

Wide eyed, I looked down at my hands as blue flames rolled out of them like waves, slow and small. They hit the ground and dissipated, leaving black scorch marks where they touched.

I blinked as the energy slowly drained out of my body. It throbbed with every beat of my heart. Arthur and I kept our silence for about ten minutes, his presence in my mind like an itch I couldn't scratch.

When the energy flow died down, Arthur's eyes slowly went back to normal. He retreated gently from my mind.

"There. That wasn't so bad, was it?" he said.

I blew out a breath. My magic felt calm, at peace, as if it was asleep. It wasn't all gone, Arthur had simply purged enough of it out so that it didn't overflow again. It would be back to full bloom in a matter of days.

"Thanks," I said and shifted on my feet, "you're right. I thought it was going to be a lot more..."

"Violent? Invasive?"

I pursed my lips, but nodded. Suddenly feeling like a brat for having so vehemently denied his proposal. "Right."

Arthur chuckled, then reached up and tugged on a strand of hair that had escaped my ponytail. "I understand. Trust doesn't come easily to you."