Chapter 65

A slow smile stretched on Arthur's face. "Is that so?"

Ryan gave a jerky nod. "A few months ago. I was walking through a rather secluded part of the castle. That was when I stumbled upon a room. The amount of magic that escaped that place." He visibly shuddered. "It was not normal, that place. All I wanted to do was get out of there. But then I heard Rion's voice."

He rubbed his brow, now sweaty. "He was speaking in a hushed voice, but I recognized him, nonetheless. So I peeked inside. Right there, on the bloody wall, was a bloody demon lord."

My heart kicked in my throat.

"How did you know it was a demon lord?" I asked.

"When we were young, we were taught about the story of Origins and the First Gate. The books had drawings and sketches of that time. The castle even has a few paintings that date back to the First Gate. So yes, I can recognize a demon lord when I see one." Ryan said. "Besides, you cannot mistake their magic."

I looked at Arthur and spoke to him through the bond.

A gate?

I doubt it. I believe it's more of a window. A screen, if you will, through which people from different realms may communicate. Theoretically, it is possible. I have seen a few right after we closed the First Gate.

"And?" Arthur asked.

Ryan shrugged. "I got the hell out of there."

"No idea what they were discussing?" I asked.

"None," Ryan said. "But the king wasn't alone. His advisor, Rami, was there, too. "

"I see." Arthur rubbed his chin, a speculative look assessing Ryan. "And they did not notice you?"

Ryan's reply was a quick, "no."

Arthur smiled. "I find it hard to believe that Rion had a discussion with the other side without heavy security around."

Ryan crossed his arms. "Alright. I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I may not be as strong as the king or his brother, but I'm still a fae."

"Fair enough. Keep your secrets. I will, however, need the exact location of both the Seer and the room where Rion held this interesting meeting."

Ryan nodded.

"You are granted safe passage and refuge to my land," Arthur said, "on the condition you cease your cannibalistic practices. I will not have a man-eater running free in my land. Immortal numbers are already low enough without the likes of you."

Ryan's face thundered. "I do not kill-"

"I'm not interested in your hobbies." Arthur waved him off, the picture of arrogance. "The deal is done. You have my word."

*** **** ***

After we parted ways with my dear cousin, we snuck back into the castle. Ryan had provided us with an updated blueprint of the castle, where the Seer's location was clearly identified.

Arthur had him pinpoint the location of the king's meeting room.

"The unusual demon activity in recent years now makes sense," Marianno said as we walked through the forest.

"Communicating with someone from the other side will undoubtedly destabilize the fabric separating the realms," Arthur explained when he noticed my confusion.

"So, the Seer?" I said after a few beats of silence.

"According to your cousin, she still exists," Arthur said. "We'll pay the woman a visit. She will be a fountain of information, and could serve as a witness to Rion and Rami's crimes."