Chapter 57

Charles, Marianno, Noah and Irene all got individual rooms down the same hall from Arthur and I. Before she slipped into her room, Irene gave me a suggestive smirk complete with an eyebrow wiggle. I flipped her off and followed Arthur into our room with a flaming face.

The door closed behind me. The sound faintly registered as I took in the bedroom. It was quite spacious, with two wide windows looking over the front of the castle. A faint charcoal scent filtered through my nose, with a heavy layer of cool winter. The windows must have been opened just recently.

The deep green walls matched the upholstery of the seating arrangement near a fireplace. The red velvety sheets on the four poster bed looked smooth and inviting. The woodwork on the bed was very detailed. As I got closer to it, I could make out the little birds and serpents- no, not serpents, dragons. The carving was meticulous, and the dark wood of it gleamed under the natural lighting.

I looked at my boots, then at the beige carpet.

"Don't bother taking them off, we'll be getting out soon." Arthur stopped near the window and looked out.

I shrugged and joined him by the window. The people below were gathered in clusters of at least two. Guards dressed in green and gold walked the perimeter. The buzz of conversation reached my ears, along with clicking hooves and marching soldiers. The room wasn't soundproofed.

I looked at Arthur. His profile was sharp and handsome against the light. "What is it?"

A feeling of watchfulness strained the bond. Arthur was on guard ever since we entered the castle.

"There's something wrong." He turned to look at the room and rubbed his chin.

"With the room?"

He frowned. "With everything."

His eyes took in the room in a slow scan, not missing anything. His magic flared, erupting forward and licking everything in sight. Searching, tasting. I turned to look at the room and did the same.

Trying to push my magic out without igniting the flames was a challenge. But it did help me sense the world in a way my five senses couldn't do. There was no trace of magic in the room, other than Arthur's.

"What do you think of the king?" I asked.

Arthur's sudden smile sent a chill down my spine.

Damn it. There were still times when he elicited such visceral reactions from me. It wasn't exactly fear... or maybe it was. I would be an idiot not to be afraid of a being of such power. I knew, however, with absolute certainty that his power would never be aimed at me in hostility. That still didn't mean I didn't react to it like it would. It was simply an instinctive reaction.

"Rion is a spineless bastard."

I almost choked on my spit. I laughed. "Okay. That's one way to put it."

Arthur's mood lightened. "He's afraid of something, of that much I have no doubt."

"Was he always like this?" I asked. "You were here before, right?"

"I was here when your father was king. But Rion I met shortly in Paris after he was crowned. He was surrounded by guards, then, but it was understandable since it was on foreign soil and he had just been crowned." Arthur shook his head. "This situation, however, is far from understandable."

"Pair it with the overuse of the nullifying spells, and it is clear to the blind that the king is spooked."

A dimple popped in his cheek. "Spooked is right."

"Do you think it has something to do with us?" I asked.

"We will have to find out." Arthur straightened and gave me a once over. "I trust you are armed."