Itachi x Insecure!Reader

Request: Hi! Can I request Itachi's s/o finding out about Izumi and how everyone still associates her as itachis lover and she gets bit insecure? Thankss

Warnings: Self-deprecation, mentions of death, slight angst

__

Itachi had not been coming to bed lately.

You would fall asleep before he got home, and wake up to him already gone in the morning, but signs that he had been there after you'd fallen asleep.

Or you'd wake up drowsy around 3 am as Itachi slips into bed next to you, wrapping his arms around you and hushing you back to sleep.

You knew Itachi was a busy shinobi, and a rogue one at that. So you tried not to push when he would visit less, but you missed him.

You wanted to see what was keeping him up.

You decided to follow Itachi one morning, after he left your cabin.

You were no S-Ranked ninja, but you had decent training. You could hold your own against a Chunin or a low-level Jonin.

Itachi had noticed you following him immediately, but he didn't do anything to stop you. He knew he had been neglecting you recently and you had a right to know why.

He had been on a casual mission for most of the day, before he finished and it was around the time he used to come home.

Getting more anxious, you bit your lip as you trailed at a safe distance behind him.

After trailing him for another 30 minutes, you finally found out what had been keeping Itachi.

He was in a cemetery.

The Uchiha cemetery.

Standing at a specific grave in particular.

Moving a little closer, your stomach dropped as you read the name on the headstone.

Izumi Uchiha.

You knew that he had loved a girl before you. You knew that they weren't together anymore.

You knew that her name was Izumi.

Itachi would talk about her sometimes, if you asked. But you could tell that it hurt him to talk about her.

You suddenly felt far too intrusive. Far too gross. You felt nowhere near good enough for someone like Itachi.

Of course he'd rather be here. I bet he loved her more than me...I bet he never loved me at all...He probably just pities me...

It was too late when you noticed the tears streaming down your cheeks, you hurriedly tried to wipe them away, hiccuping.

Your anxiety only spiked when you heard Itachi speak.

"Y/N...please come out. I know you're there." Itachi said monotonously, and you were sure he was going to break things off with you. Tell you that you were a bad person and how much he'd rather you be dead than Izumi.

But none of that happened.

Instead when you got close, he wrapped his arms around you.

"I love you Y/N." Was all he said.

Your eyes widened and you immediately pulled back, "You- what? B-but I... I was...I'm not-"

"You're not Izumi." Itachi cut you off, but there was no malice in his tone. Just love, as he stroked your hair.

You frowned. You already knew that but hearing him say it still made you sad.

"I did love Izumi. She was my first. And she will always be a part of me. A part of my past." Itachi continued.

Your lip trembled and you couldn't stop the tears from running down your cheeks as he went on.

"But," You looked up at Itachi through your teary eyes, waiting for him to finish, with the vain hope that he would have something better to say.

"Izumi is just that, a part of my past. You are my present, Y/N. I love you. It's called a first love for a reason. I know I've been spending less time with you lately and I apologize for that. I know I can be hard to love sometimes and I just want you to know that no matter how distant I get, or how hateful I may seem...I will always love you, Y/N." Itachi finished.

He was crying too now, and you both relished in each other's embrace as the sun set.