Summer's End

A/N: I realized as I wrote this chapter that it would be too long with the Pilot added in so the Next Chapter is the Pilot.
Happy readings!

***********
Chapter 9
Summer's End

The next day, Neena laid in bed staring at the ceiling.

She didn't have any nightmares the previous night. She was not sure if it had anything to do with the fact that she was knackered or if she was getting over her issues. She was hesitant to test it. She knew her water manipulation was going really well, despite the words of the system and fire manipulation was a very handy element to have control over if you were surrounded by vampires. She needed to get over her issue with fire, not just because of how useful the element was but also because she wanted to master all four elements.

Then there was the System Market.

She needed 400 Experience Points and she had two quests that fit the bill. The Meet the Gilbert's quest that gave her 500 points for talking to Elena for an hour and It's Magical quest that gave her 400 points for talking to Sheila Bennett.

Neena was really tempted to take the quest for Bonnie's Grams. It was more appealing than talking to Elena as the Doppelganger judges her motivations.

Honestly, it was like the Doppelganger Gilbert suspected her sister would steal away her life if she was civil to her. The girl did not seem to believe Aleena Gilbert would change even after their parents death. And Neena did not have any secret desire to spend her day trying to prove to the girl that she was being friendly because she wanted to be friendly.

Grams was the better option but there was only one problem.

[Ding!]

[Meet the Gilbert's quest is recommended for the Host.]

'Why?'

[It is the quest with the higher reward.]

Neena rolled her eyes at the condescending tone of the System. 'I know that. But it's only a 100 points difference.'

[Quests of Main Characters should be given priority over quests of Minor Characters.]

'Did you just call Grams a Minor Character? Seriously? She is central to the mental balance of Bonnie!'

[Main Characters are called as such because they are the eyes of the World. Any points that are gained from interacting with them are beneficial to the System. It would make it easier for the System to upgrade.]

'Oh. Is it the same for me as well? Do I become more powerful the more I interact with Elena?'

[No. But it will help you not be kicked out of the world.]

'WHAT!'

[Elena Gilbert must not doubt your identity as her sister. If the Protagonist realizes that you do not belong in this world then the world will become aware of your presence and you will be rejected from the storyline. Kicked out of the world.]

'That's not fair! Is there no measure around that?'

[It's the reason why the System Market is opened only after you have gained favourability with three Plot Characters. The more important they are to the story, the stronger your connection to this world and the more likely your presence will not be obliterated if or when Elena Gilbert realizes you are not her sister.]

Neena gaped. 'Shouldn't this be something I should have known from the beginning? Why was I not informed of this crucial fact?'

[Host 999 was given this information in the Limbo.]