Drunk

"Harry, get down from there."

Draco looked up at his lover with a stern look on his face, gripping the railing of the balcony behind him tightly.

"Dracooo, don't be such a spoil sport," Harry's words slurred as he teetered on the edge of the rooftop a long distance from where Draco was standing.

They'd had a fight earlier. One that was so intense it had sent Harry into a drinking spiral which found him dancing on top of the roof.

"I won't tell you again," Draco bit out. "Get down from there now, before you hurt yourself."

"Ohhhh, Draco..." Harry sang wistfully clutching a near empty bottle in his hands as he turned to face the blond. "How we all just love your caring words."

A muscle in Draco's jaw jumped as the cold night air ripped across the balcony. It wasn't a large area; if Harry slipped now, he'd fall three stories below, narrowly missing the balcony.

"Harry, I know we've had our arguments about this. I know you think I'm too protective or I smother you too much. But please..." Draco dragged a hand through his hair, frustration gripping him. "I just want you to be safe! That's all this is about."

Harry snorted and continued walking too close to the edge for comfort. "Yeah, as if I need your protection."

The sarcastic words sliced through Draco like glass.

The Gryffindor continued; "I've fought through a wizarding war, I've looked death in the face and survived, I've lost countless people in the process. What makes you think I can't protect myself Draco? What makes you think I need you?"

Draco took a deep breath to keep himself in check. He knew this was just the alcohol talking. Alcohol can make people do stupid things. Like dancing on a roof top.

"Harry," Draco pleaded again. "Please just come down from there, slowly! And we can talk about this. I don't want you to feel smothered or anything like that! I just want you to feel loved..." Draco's voice cracked as tears threatened to make their escape. "Please, you're scaring me!"

Harry didn't say anything, but simply fixed Draco with a piercing stare.

"Yeah, can't say I buy that one," he eventually replied after a few minutes, and took another swig from his bottle.

Draco let out a frustrated yell and started to set a foot towards Harry. He would climb that roof and bring him down if he had too. This was too ridiculous.

"Ah, ah, ahhh!" Harry slurred and giggled as he wobbled on the roof's edge and slowly stuck a foot out into the freezing night air.

Draco's eyes widened, and he froze in his tracks.

"Harry, what are you doing?"

"Getting you to listen," Harry said with complete seriousness, all traces of amusement gone.

Draco breathed through his nose heavily. What a pompous, arrogant idiot. He was doing the most to scare Draco just to get him to listen. And it was working.

"Okay..." Draco breathed, backing up towards the railing, eyes fixed on Harry's form high above. "Talk.. and i'll listen."

"Wowww..." Harry slurred. "Finally," he snorted.

Draco bit his lip to stop whatever retort was threatening to make itself known.

Harry continued, "You never let me do my own thing Draco. You always think I need protection. To hold mummy's hand. Well guess what? I've never been able to do that."

Harry's eyes welled up and he swallowed thickly.

"You know I can handle myself. If only you'd just let me go out into the world and experience my own freedom, not having to worry about outside forces! The war is over, Draco! You need to stop hiding in the shadows."

Draco paused before nodding slowly to show his understanding.

"I hear you, Harry," Draco whispered, his throat constricting. "I do understand. Please, just come down and we can talk through this properly! I can't lose you like this..." His voice cracked, and Harry turned to look at him.

They locked eyes for Draco didn't know how long. Emerald green and silver grey matching in a world only they knew.

Goosebumps began to appear on Draco's arms as the cold, bitter air started to pick up.

"Please," Draco begged again. "Just come down. I hate seeing you like this."

He reached an arm out towards Harry, indicating for the smaller boy to take his hand.

Harry stared, his body completely still, at the outstretched hand, contemplating his choices.

Draco gulped, trying but failing to get a breath down, his other arm still gripping the railing behind him. This was mad. Insane. Harry could slip and fall at any minute. His mind wasn't coordinating with his body. Harry rarely drank, and when he did... it was bad.

Harry audibly swallowed. "Okay..." he whispered. "Okay, i'll come down."

Draco pushed a sigh of relief through his nose as he stretched his hand further up to the drunken boy.

"Thank you," Draco whispered.

Harry stood on unsteady feet, still gripping the alcohol bottle, now completely drained.

"It's okay," Draco said, his voice carrying away on the wind. "You're safe with me. Just take my hand."

Harry took a step forward and suddenly Draco's stomach bottomed out.

He heard the exclamation of distress before he registered what was happening. Harry's foot missed the edge of the roof by an inch.

The world went dark. Everything slowed. Time didn't exist.

Draco felt himself move before his brain even commanded it as he lurched forward.

Hearing himself yell but not really knowing it was his own voice, Draco grabbed at Harry's falling body as the boy tumbled through the night.

"HARRY!"

Harry's body hit the floor of the balcony as he was pulled jerkily to the left by his clothing, another body wrapping itself around him, sheltering and protecting his own.

Glass smashed somewhere far below and sobs wracked Draco's body as he clung to the boy beneath him.

Harry breathed deeply, his head spinning in a never ending spiral as his brain tried to process what had just occurred.

"Never do that again, do you hear me?!" Draco shrieked into Harry's chest, soddening his jumper. "You could have died! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Harry replied shakily as his brain cleared somewhat and he wrapped his arms around the boy on top of him.

"You're such an idiot. I hate you so much!" Draco cried. "Please never do that to me again. You scared me to death."

"I won't, Draco. I'm so sorry..." Harry's voice cracked as he took in his broken boyfriend. All he wanted to do was protect and look after Harry. If he hadn't done that... he might be lying on a different floor right now.

"I'm sorry for saying what i said. I didn't mean half of it. You don't smother me. I know now you're just trying to protect me. I love you. I'm so sorry, Draco." Harry drunkenly mumbled as the two clung to each other, rain starting to make an appearance above them.

"It's okay, Harry," Draco replied, eventually looking up into the other boy's eyes. "I love you too."

Thunder sounded high above them as the rain started to come quick and heavy.

"Let's get you inside and sobered up," Draco said, pulling Harry to his feet, whilst still maintaining a firm grip on the boy as if he's fly right out of his arms.

"I'm sorry Draco," Harry whispered. "I love you more than anything. Thank you."

"You're welcome, Harry. I'll always be here for you. Just don't scare me like that again."

"I won't. I promise."