Part #22

Turns out I'm very big brain and only remembered that they were supposed to be at Dream's mom's house the 'day' that this is set after I had written the whole ass chapter.
So just pretend that Dream said they would be leaving on this day instead of arriving.
My bad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dream awoke to the sound of his alarm clock. He quickly turned it off and looked down at George.

The brunet had managed to stay asleep, desensitized by the alarm as he had gotten used to it. Dream ran his hand through George's hair and down to his cheek.

"Babe," he said, "wake up."
George made a noise that vaguely sounded like a combination of the words "no" and "I hate you".
"C'mon, Georgie, you have to meet my mom today, remember?"
"Georgie?" George inquired, looking up at Dream and hugging his pillow.
"It's your new nickname for when you're being annoying."
"I could never annoy you, you love me too much."
"Yeah, you're right, but still."

George turned on his side so he was facing the wall. Dream wrapped his arms around his torso and left a trail of kisses down his jawline.

"C'mon, it's time to get up."
"Shh."
"Don't shush me."
"I'm the one who makes dinner, I get shushing rights."
"That's- that's actually pretty fair."
"I know it is."

Dream stood, defeated.
"I'll make coffee and bring you your book."
"Thank you, I love you."
"I love you too, Georgie."

Dream walked into the kitchen and started the coffee maker.

When it was done he filled two mugs with the coffee. He put a small drop of vanilla extract in George's mug, as he had learned he preferred vanilla over artificial sweeteners.

Dream picked up the book, careful not to spill any coffee from either mug and returned to the bedroom.

George had sat up and was once again looking out the window.

"Hey."
George jumped, startled by Dream's sudden presence. "Oh, hello, babe."

Dream handed him his mug and book before sitting down at the foot of the bed.

George had a contemplative look in his eye. Dream could always tell when George was mulling something over because he got a faraway look and his eyes got stormy. Almost like he was watching a thunderstorm brewing.

"Whatcha thinking about?"
"Hm? Oh, nothing." George took a sip of his coffee.
"You can tell me."
"I just- I don't know- I guess I'm just nervous to meet your mother."
"Don't be, she'll love you."
"It's more so about the questions she'll ask."

Dream considered for a moment.

"Like what?"
"Like 'how did you meet and things like that that we can't quite explain without sounding insane."
"She won't ask stuff like that."
"Every parent does."
"How do you know?"
"I was friends with three parents who had children who then had to awkwardly introduce their partners to them. I got to listen to every. Single. Rant."

Dream rolled his eyes, but a gentle smile played on his lips.

"Seriously though, don't worry about it, I'll answer all the difficult questions."
"How will you know what I consider to be a difficult question or not?"
"I'll hold your hand, and when she asks a question that you don't have an answer for, tap my hand twice."
"What if you get up to do something and I can't tap you."
"Then glare at me as menacingly as physically possible."
"I'm not going to do that."
"Well, guess I just won't get up to do anything."
"Sounds about right."
"Hey!"

The stormy look disappeared from George's eyes and was replaced by a more gentle one.

Dream smiled to himself and got up to start packing, soon followed by George.

"Jeeze, how long of a trip is this?"
"It takes about a day and a half to get there, so we'll have to stay in a hotel."
"I'd like to state now, I was not informed of this formerly."
"You'll live."
"You don't know that."

Dream scoffed as he placed another shirt into his bag.

A few minutes later, George was already finished packing and had gone outside for a second.

Dream never really understood why George always did that. He'd go sit outside for long amounts of time, no book, no music, nothing.

George claimed he liked to be with his thoughts. Dream didn't really understand but he liked the way George explained it.

"I like to envelop myself in my own mind. Just drift away and see what my brain comes up with. It's nice to be away from the world for a moment and let your mind wander. Like extensive daydreaming," George had said one afternoon when Dream asked.

George would sometimes bring his journal with him. Dream didn't know why he kept a journal and was curious about what he wrote in it. However, out of respect he never acted on that curiosity and decided that George would tell him when he wanted him to know.

Dream walked outside after finishing packing his bag and placing it in the trunk of the car with George's.

He silently sat next to George and smiled as the brunet placed his head on his shoulder.

"What were you thinking about?" Dream asked. He liked it when George talked about his strange outdoor thoughts. They often didn't make much sense... or made a bit too much sense.

"Nothing really, just trying to create a mental image of your mother."
"What do you think she looks like so far?"
"Blonde hair, kinda like yours, with a few streaks of gray, freckles from the sun, and small smile wrinkles."
"You're kinda scary sometimes."
"What?"
"That was creepily accurate."
"I'm talented."

Dream rolled his eyes and stood up. The two put on their shoes and walked out to the car. Both simultaneously nervous and excited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every time I finish another chapter for this and proofread it I get so happy. Perhaps it's my 3:00 AM energy kicking in (bc I normally finish at 3-4) idk.
Hope you like this chapter as much as I liked writing it <3