Part #24

Sorry, this one took so long! I'm on vacation with my family at the moment and will be for 8 days, so updates will be slow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For once George had fallen asleep before Dream. Dream had his arms wrapped around the brunet, who was sleeping peacefully.

Dream looked down at him and smiled before sneaking out of bed and walking over to the balcony.

He opened and closed the glass door as quietly as possible.

Dream leaned against the railing and breathed in the cold air

"So this is who he replaced me with?" A voice said.
Dream jumped.
"Don't be afraid of me. You weren't afraid of George, now were you?"
"Show yourself," Dream commanded.

A partially transparent man shimmered into existence.

"Who are you?"
"I see George informed you well of me. My name is Ninja. George's husband. Well, I suppose he has declared himself removed from this marriage."
"What do you want?"
"I simply want to speak with my host... ex-husband."
"Too bad."

It was obvious George wasn't fond of Ninja. He was tricked into the marriage in the first place. From what little George said, which was nothing nice, Ninja didn't seem like a loving husband.

"Listen Blondie, I'm not gonna hurt him, I just wanna talk."
"I'm fairly sure he doesn't want to talk with you."
"I've known him longer than you have, I know what he wants."
"Really, so you tricked him into marrying you then got mad at him when he wasn't the person you wanted him to be?"

Ninja had a look of malice in his eyes.

"Whether you let me or not, I will speak with him. I'm a ghost, I don't have to listen to you."

Ninja moved past Dream easily and disappeared. He re-appeared inside the room.

Dream remembered what he had read about.

"Certain ghosts possess certain abilities. Some can fade through objects and disappear at will, some can float, and some can interact with all objects." The old book had read.

Dream pulled open the door but it was too late. Ninja had made his way to George.

"Hello, love, it has been so long." Ninja placed his hand on George's face. It didn't fade through because they had known each other in life.

George looked up at him in a mixture of defiance and shock.

"Why?" George said, "Why after all this time. I waited. Years. I watched as you went on with life. I saw how you forgot me in a day. Now you come back?"
"We can talk about this-"
"It's too late, you've had your shot, and you gave it up."
"I'm sorry! I was wrong, I want you."
"Apparently it wasn't enough to stop him from shooting me."
"What was I supposed to do?!"
"Kick him, punch him, not just stand there and watch your husband get shot!"

Dream watched the argument from a distance.
"George-" George cut Dream off.
"Dream, this doesn't concern you. Go back outside. Please."
"What are you going to do..?"
"I'm not going to hurt him, I promise, just shut him up."

Dream did as told and went outside. "I didn't know he could be that scary" Dream thought to himself.

Inside, the conversation continued.

"What do you want from me? Why are you here?"
"I just want you back, George, I love you."
"Stop! Stop doing this! You always did! You pretended as you loved me then treated me like your slave!"
"But, he isn't right for you. I am."
"You don't even know him!"
"But I know I'm better than him."
"At what? Breaking hearts? Yeah, yeah you are."
"Please calm down."
"We're divorced. Officially. I decided it a long time ago."
"No, please, I need you."
"To do what? Make your sandwiches? Because that's all you had me do before."

Ninja paused, he looked determined.

"What can I do to get you back?"
"Nothing. It's over."

George reached into his pocket and handed Ninja a wedding ring. "I never loved you, and I never will."

Ninja put the ring in his pocket.
"You'll regret this."
"No. I won't."

George twisted his engagement ring from Dream in his finger.

"You- you got engaged, to him?"
"Yes. What about it?"
"What did he do that I didn't?"
"He loved me."

George's face was stone cold but on the inside, he was crying for all he was worth.

"I won't forget this."
"Good, I still haven't forgotten your face as I had a crossbow pointed at my chest."

Ninja began to fade out of the wall when George stopped him.
"Ninja, please, be a better person than you were. Someone will love you. But you messed up too badly for it to be me. I know you can be better. Please, just find someone who truly loves you and treat them with all the love your heart can give."

Ninja nodded and disappeared.

George walked outside onto the balcony. Dream turned and looked at him. They shared a silent agreement and went back to bed.

They lied next to one another for a few moments.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Dream asked.
"I'd really rather just hugging and going back to sleep."
" I can do that."

Dream held George closely, he glanced down to see George's eyes. Fixated on a world that wasn't there. He would have asked what George was thinking of, but he could see the storm brewing in his irises and decided against it.

He held George until they both fell asleep.