003. 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐛𝐨𝐭𝐡 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝𝐬

chapter threebest of both worlds

chapter three
best of both worlds

🖤

THE NEXT DAY OPENS WITH THE WORST headache ever — Ruby trudges into the kitchen, where she cleaned the night before, and finds the painkillers. Two down her throat with a gulp of water, and she's already starting to feel better. If Hawkins had a McDonald's, she would be swinging by for a McMuffin. But there isn't, just that diner near the lab, and she doesn't like going that way. Her fingers start feeling charged with electricity, and she's all jumpy. It's annoying.

Billy finds his way downstairs. He's got his jeans back on now, and he's buttoning up his shirt as he walks towards her, his jacket still hanging on the staircase banister. Ruby remembers the hickey left on her breast, and feels a little regretful. She knows she shouldn't... But she does. She consented, of course she did, but she now wishes she didn't do anything last night.

"Morning, babe," says Billy. He places his fingers on her chin and lifts her head up, kissing her on the lips. She smiles softly. "I gotta get going."

"Why?" she says, with a frown. It's barely 6AM.

Billy smiles at her. "See, my parents won't know a thing if I leave now — and then I can come back, again and again and—"

She forces a smile. "I get the picture."

She feels a little sick inside, as he makes his way out of her house. He saunters out of there, and kisses her again before he leaves, and the whole time Ruby's trying to keep down last night's dinner. The idea of this happening again, of him sleeping over again... it makes her feel ill. Even earlier, when she woke up next to him, she thought, gross. She knows he's attractive, and all that, but her stomach felt like it was churning when she saw him this morning, lying in her bed. Somehow, her mind's made the second hottest guy at school the ugliest troll to exist.

As soon as he drives off, she closes the door. She doesn't know what she wants to do, but she knows she's feeling overwhelmed. Her palms are warming up — her whole body is — and she feels like at any second, the whole place is going to set alight. She can see a mysterious breeze moving the curtains next to her, and the dinnerware in the kitchen is shaking, she can hear the noise. She squeezes her eyes shut, trying to block it out, trying to stop herself from making this worse. But the thought of last night happening again — of her ever having to kiss Billy's ugly face — makes her want to combust into flames. It makes her nauseous, it makes her so disgusted and grossed out that—that—

Oh, shit.

She runs into the bathroom, and pukes into the toilet. Luckily she managed to get there just in time, and she feels tears streaming down her face, a reaction to the vomit she's chucking up.

And then the house goes quiet.

The plates stop rattling, the curtains stop moving. Even her brain feels calmer. She crosses her legs, her back pressing against the bathroom wall. The cold tile is soothing to feel, which makes her think, this is a bad way to think of your boyfriend.