039. 𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐞 & 𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 & 𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲

chapter thirty-ninerose & ruth & mary

chapter thirty-nine
rose & ruth & mary

🖤

IT'S THE NEXT MORNING WHEN RUBY bitterly comes to terms with the fact that she's stuck in Hawkins until this stupid Vecna is dealt with. She tries to upkeep the perfect morning routine from the day before, all the while cursing the dipshit trapping her here. She goes on a run, has a mini Pilates routine afterwards. She has the hottest shower her body can handle, before she flicks through the small selection of clothes she brought back with her. She thought she'd be gone by now, so she wears her jeans, and grabs an orange jumper that used to be her mom's — or maybe one her mom borrowed from her dad, given the bagginess. She styles her curtain bangs, adds some makeup to her face, then finds herself downstairs.

A fired-up body is only as ready as the brain, she grumpily thinks as she goes through her grandpa's brain-teaser book, stirring the pot with her free hand (her grandpa, because he's stupid, never bought a fucking microwave). She haphazardly throws some fruit on top of the porridge, shovelling it into her mouth like a prisoner. Her hands push the medley of vitamins and medications her grandpa's got her on into her mouth, the pills hurting the back of her throat. She sips her green tea, eagerly awaiting the day the Upside Down isn't her problem, so she doesn't have to drink this shit anymore.

"Uh... hey."

Ruby turns around and looks at Steve.

It's not what you think — believe her, she wishes her silly decision yesterday was that. Instead, it's something far worse.

Like an idiot, last night, she recommended her grandpa's house as their base. "Oh, it's just me, so we won't be worrying about parents!" she had said. Now, she has to deal with all of these teenagers that spent the night in the living room of her grandpa's house, every spare mattress now shoved between the sofa, the television, and the wall.

But, he's wearing new clothes, and holding a bag of groceries, which must mean he left the house when she wasn't paying attention — which is fair, because she's spent most of this morning with her headphones on full-blast, trying to forget the dipshits sleeping in her grandfather's house.

She begins, "Uh...?"

But he's already figured out why she's confused. He puts the groceries down on the kitchen counter, and shrugs his shoulders. "Me and Henderson got some stuff for Munson," says Steve. "But, I saw the fridge before we left — you've gone full California Girl. Since when could you make milk from nuts?"

"It's a big, scary world outside of Hawkins," says Ruby, dryly.

"Yeah, well, I will give myself to Vecna if I have to eat any of this shit," says Steve, putting two Eggo's into the toaster instead. Ruby stares at the cardboard packet, and thinks she might start drooling. "What the fuck is sea moss?"