007. 𝐧𝐞𝐩𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐦, 𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐲!

chapter sevennepotism, baby!

chapter seven
nepotism, baby!

🖤

SEE, THIS IS PERHAPS THE ONLY TIME where nepotism won't save Ruby.

Which is astounding, really. Normally a quick reminder of her dad makes people drop issues. Or, back in her grandpa's hay-day, she would walk these hallways like a god. An untouchable creature, because no one knew the protocol with Ruby. Whether she was the same level of respect as an experiment, whether she was off-limits because she's a Brenner.

She used to come here every month for a check-up, where her grandpa herself would carry it out. She only stopped coming because of what happened last year. To be honest, she doesn't think she would've been able to stop coming before her grandpa left. He would've filled her house with gas, or something, and forced her to come...

He used to be nice to her. He always gave her presents when she came for the check-ups. Fifty dollars, a gift card to a restaurant in town. Last year she realised most of these presents were picked out for him, and that he only found her interesting because she was his project.

Her grandpa has no power here anymore, though. Which sucks, because that's the only way Ruby had any control.

Nancy and Jonathan are directed into the same room, whereas Ruby is sent into one on her own. As the door closes behind her, her mind goes to Harrington — why is he on his own, but Nancy and Jonathan aren't? Why can't she be with him? He doesn't know anything about this, this isn't fair to leave him on his own—

"Ruby Mary Brenner," says a scientist, as he steps into the room. He's a short man with short grey hair, and he has a friendly face, but Ruby doesn't trust it. "I'm Dr Sam Owens, the new director of operations here. I know you've had a bit of a rocky past with this place, but I'm sure you can understand that we are really trying to improve things here."

"Oh, I bet," she says, with a glare.

"So, I understand that you are, uh, known as Subject X? I had a look at your files, and it really is fascinating — so interesting, how the basic instinct of flight or fight, kick-started your powers," he tells her. "I'm sure it has been helpful for you, this past year."

Ruby crosses her arms. "And your point?"

"Well, I have been told that you are trying to communicate with another subject," he says. "And I want you to be aware, that if you know anything about her whereabouts, you are standing directly in the face of justice."

"Justice?" she echoes.

"She needs to be stopped."