021. 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭-𝐰𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠

chapter twenty-oneshort-wiring

chapter twenty-one
short-wiring

🖤

RUBY'S WEARING HER FAVOURITE BIKINI when she heads down to the Hawkins pool, a black one with an extra-long tie around her back, making a pretty bow. The bottoms sit just right on her hips. She's got on her sunglasses, and the gold necklace Steve bought her for Valentine's Day. She smells of SPF 30 and vanilla perfume, as she walks out past the pool, taking one of the loungers near the lifeguard stand. Ruby sits her headphones over her ears, turns up the Dusty Springfield, and closes her eyes.

She loves the summer months. When she was in New York, she was talking to this other model obsessed with zodiac signs, and apparently, Ruby's a fire sign? Ruby doesn't really get that, but she was told she's a Scorpio, and she supposes it makes sense, how much she likes the warmth, if she is a fire sign. Ruby feels at one with fire, she thinks her powers gave her a real appreciation for it. Not to sound like a pyromaniac... That is, if she's actually a fire sign and that girl wasn't chatting shit...

A figure steps in front of her, blocking the sun. Ruby sits upright, about to sneer at a little kid, but instead, sees her ex-boyfriend, Billy Hargrove. She freezes for a second, before frowning, noticing the lifeguard outfit.

"Looking good, Brenner..."

"I know, it's kinda my job to be hot."

She puts her headphones back on, and lies back down. Even the pool is tainted now! Her auntie's one at home is indoors, she can't get a tan there! She could go to Steve's, but if he's working everyday, she's going to feel awkward lounging around his house on her own, when his parents might be there. They will be there, it's a Saturday! She feels so uncomfortable. What should she do? Should she just leave now, or wait it out? Billy will have his break soon, then he'll go away for a while. She drove this whole way, she left Steve to go to the pool, Billy being here is ruining everything for her!

This is a disaster

"Hey, Ruby," another voice says, Ruby's headphones just quiet enough for her to make out the voice.

She opens her eyes, and pushes her sunglasses down her nose to see through. One of the girls on the cheerleading team smiles at her, her blonde hair wrapped into a bun, a hot pink bikini covered by a hot pink coverup.

"Oh, hey, Chrissy."

Ruby sits upright to speak to her, as Chrissy takes a seat on the empty lounger next to her. Honestly, Ruby barely knows Chrissy — famously Ruby told Chrissy to bleach her hair when she first started on the cheer team, and Ruby thinks Chrissy's so popular because of that makeover. Well... she's also pretty sweet, which would not be said for Ruby. They sort-of ran in the same crowd when Ruby was still in high school, only Chrissy's the grade below. Ruby, as reigning Spring Fling and Snowflake Queen hopes the mantles are passed onto Chrissy.