035. 𝐡𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐝𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐚

chapter thirty-fivehungover princess diana

chapter thirty-five
hungover princess diana

🖤

THE NEXT DAY OPENS WITH THE WORST headache ever — Ruby rubs her eyes, trudging into the kitchen in search of painkillers. She remembers the medicine cabinet in this house is at least fifteen years out of date, and she begins to wonder if out-of-date painkillers are deadly... She puts her fingers to her temples, her brain pounding, and wonders if death is worth it. Maybe Grandpa left some quaaludes around here, he seems like the type.

"Um..."

Ruby lets out a yelp, jumping almost a foot backwards. She looks up, to find the last person she expected, standing at the foot of her grandpa's stairs.

"What are you doing here?" she demands.

Harrington puts his face in his hands. "I think we slept together."

Ruby wants to die.

Her cheeks burn bright red as she paces the room, looking over at him. "OK, no, maybe we just tried to when we were drunk but nothing happened... Drunken impotence is a thing, right?"

Harrington looks embarrassed. "When... has that been a problem before?"

"Oh my God." Ruby covers her face with her hands. This is a nightmare. There were two things she wasn't supposed to do when back in Hawkins — and one was get back with Harrington. At least she hasn't used her powers, right?

The thought of that makes her feel a little better. With a newfound sense of relief — sleeping with her ex is one thing, waking up the Upside Down is another — she turns to Harrington.

"We speak of this to no one."

"Agreed."

Ruby frowns. "... Why'd you agree so quickly?"

"Uh, because I don't want anyone to know either?"

"... Why not?" she says.

Harrington glares at her. "You moved away from here, remember? You can leave this mess, but I won't live this down if anyone finds out."

That stings a little. Ruby crosses her arms.

"Well. You could put your t-shirt on, at least."

She thinks she's making a valid point, really. She does not need to see her ex-boyfriend chest — especially now that it's gotten a lot more muscular. God. She imagines what that would feel like... No, stop, she tells herself. Point is, he's topless, only wearing his jeans.

And he frowns.

"Well, someone must've put it on last night."

Ruby looks down at herself, horrified.