036. 𝐯𝐞𝐜𝐧𝐚'𝐬 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞

chapter thirty-sixvecna's curse

chapter thirty-six
vecna's curse

🖤

DARKNESS FELL AROUND THEM AS they drove from Ruby's house — well, her grandfather's — out towards lover's lake. She somehow won position of passenger princess, Harrington claiming it's in case she has a spooky vision like she did at the pumpkin patch. Ruby just thinks he's trying to get into her good books — Dustin and Robin must think the same, both irritated they've been delegated to the back seat, alongside Max.

They arrive at Reefer Rick's — Ruby was confused too, don't worry. He's Eddie's dealer, who lives out by lover's lake; the kids think Eddie's going to be hiding from the cops, so they've decided to drive over to see for themselves. Ruby pulls her hair up into a bun, her hair feeling too dirty from last night's... activities to feel comfortable down.

Harrington pulls up outside of the house, an old panelled one with a boathouse closer to the lake. There's boating and nautical paraphernalia dotted around the overgrown grass as they quietly wander up to the house, trying to look out for any signs of life. Ruby watches Harrington stick a torchlight straight into the dark house, and she swats it out of his hand.

"That's not stealthy!" she hisses. "So much for being a ninja—"

She's interrupted by Dustin, who violently knocks on the front door, shouting at the top of his lungs, "EDDIEEEE!"

Harrington grimaces. "And you thought I was the problem."

Ruby bites on her lip to contain her laugh.

She glances at the others, all of them peering into the house through the windows. "OK, so," says Ruby. "I'm not allowed to use my powers when I'm back here."

Max frowns. "Says... who?"

"God," Ruby says. "I'm just saying this, in case anything weird happens, don't expect me to save your guys' asses..."

"That's why I'm the muscle now," says Harrington, too boldly to be joking. Ruby and Robin exchange an unconvinced look, both stifling their laughter. Harrington notices, clearly, and scowls. "I wish you weren't friends."

"OK, Mr Muscle," says Ruby, rolling her eyes.

Robin snorts, jumping down from the (dead) plant pot she was standing on, trying to look into the kitchen window. "Clearly no one's living here," says Robin, defeated.

Ruby looks around, her eyes settling back on the boathouse. Call it genetically-modified intuition or plain optimism, but she has a sneaking suspicion Eddie might be in there.

She walks towards it, the rest following her along. Harrington catches up to open the door first, trying to be chivalrous or something. Ruby gives him an odd look, as he grabs one of the boat oars, prodding everything in sight with it, checking Eddie isn't there.