033. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐫𝐮𝐛𝐲 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫

chapter thirty-threethe untouchable ruby brenner

the untouchable ruby brenner

🖤

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T tell me."

Robin rolls her eyes; ever since the awkward reunion between her two best-friends-that-also-happen-to-be-exes, Steve's been moping around the video store like a sexually frustrated ape. Or... what other animal mopes around? Sloths? Pandas? Robin feels like they're just lazy, they don't have the belligerent angst Steve does. So... Steve's moping around the store... like a sexually frustrated doofus, who's trying to force a slutty phase when all he wants is one specific girl. (Robin calls this creature 'The Harrington.')

"Why would I tell you?" says Robin. "You'd explode either way."

"Explode?" says Steve. "I didn't explode."

"You did in your pants," says Robin.

Steve splutters so much he starts to choke.

Look. Robin and the gang were devastated to hear about Steve and Ruby's split, but it's getting tedious now. If she has to hear one more pining moan from Harrington about his ex-girlfriend, Robin's going to scream. And it's not as if she's jealous — she's over that now, thanks to pretty Vicki. It's just really freakin' annoying.

"I'm going to stack those shelves," says Steve, avoiding the inevitable conversation altogether. And by inevitable, Robin means this: the fact that he is not over Ruby, no matter how much he tries to mask it, saying he hates her.

As he walks away, Dustin swivels around in the desk chair, parked behind the rental store's front counter. He faces Robin, irritation muddling in his expression.

"I'm going to kill him," Robin says.

Dustin furiously nods, agreeing.

"Why is he this hung up?" says Robin, crouching down so Steve can't hear them bitching about him. "It's been over six months, he hasn't even seen her until today—"

"Because! They shouldn't have broken up," says Dustin, trying to keep quiet. "It only happened because she got Flayed!"

"If only they could move past that," says Robin, hating how invested she feels in someone else's relationship. "God, if they could just be left in a room for fifteen minutes, I just know they'd make up..."

"There's no way we could do that," says Dustin.

Robin looks across at Steve, who picks up a stack of VHS' wrong, and they tumble down onto the floor. She looks back at Dustin, raising an eyebrow.

"Well. We could trick him," says Dustin, having witnessed the same embarrassing act. "But Ruby would kill us. She'd have to be drugged to not get suspicious."