034. 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐮𝐥𝐚'𝐬 𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐡

chapter thirty-fourdracula's teeth

chapter thirty-four
dracula's teeth

🖤

HAWKINS WINS THE GAME, THANK GOD — which means Ruby's night is already off to a fantastic start.

This is what Robin realises, as she arrives to the party thirty minutes late (she had to change from her band uniform into something a little cooler — and wait for Dustin). Steve drove her and Dustin here, alongside Stacey Sirko, a girl he went on one date with last month, and then randomly invited her to the game. Robin tries not to panic about the plan — but, when she sees Stacey's disappointment when Robin and Dustin climb into Steve's car, Robin knows this couple is already doomed.

They all jump out of the car when they arrive to the party. Dunne, the guy they saw with the keg yesterday, is throwing the celebrations with his twenty-one-year-old big brother, their parents out of town. Robin and Dustin give each a nervous look, as Steve throws his arm around Stacey, walking her into the party.

As they step into the house, the smell of beer and cigarettes hits Robin's nose. They keep on walking through the place, past the living room and towards the kitchen, where the drinks are. Steve gets himself and his date beer. Robin looks around, spotting the makeshift dance floor. Elton John's The Bitch is Back blasts through the speakers, a rogue choice for the basketball team.

"Is this still going to work?" says Dustin to Robin, watching Steve cosy up with Stacey.

And, just like that, Robin spots Ruby in the middle of the dance floor, her hips swaying, and Dunne's older brother talking into her ear.

Robin looks back at Steve, his head frozen watching Ruby.

"Oh, this is so going to work," says Robin, with a grin.

🖤

BRAD DUNNE'S OLDER BROTHER, a wannabe guitarist called Sam, quickly introduces himself to Ruby, saying he recognises her. She smiles and tells him, "Of course you do, I'm Ruby Brenner." She isn't interested in anything like that — but he's cute, so she'll entertain it for now.

But, she finds herself stood outside, letting him talk her ear off about the band he's in. Ruby nods along, finishing her drink — a cup of punch that's two parts vodka, one part mixer. If she closes her eyes, she's drinking a Cosmopolitan in a Los Angeles bar, with a fake ID that calls her Rose.

Ruby keeps on thinking about the joint she rolled for herself earlier on. She leaves it a little longer, so she can drink some more without worrying about the joint sparking a paranoid episode. She remembers when her and Harrington were friends, and that old rhyme they'd say. "Beer before grass, you're in the clear. Grass before beer, you're on your ass." That's how she thinks it goes, anyway.

A cold chill washes over her, everything going quiet for a moment. She swears the sky turns darker, a midnight blue tint brushing over her surroundings. Part of her thinks she sees dust particles in the air, like the Upside Down; she shakes her head, and it all disappears.