009. 𝐡𝐨𝐭-𝐚𝐧𝐝-𝐬𝐞𝐱𝐲-𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

chapter nine hot-and-sexy-ness

chapter nine
hot-and-sexy-ness

🖤

THE NEXT MORNING, RUBY FELT EVEN worse — she couldn't sleep, the thought of a new monster making her toss and turn. She kept on thinking about Harrington, too, which she hates to admit. All in all, everything is going terribly — and now, she's got to spend the weekend figuring out how to stay popular without Billy, and she doesn't even know where to start! Operation Snowflake Queen is already a nightmare.

She's wearing her favourite set of pyjamas, a satin camisole with shorts, because last night she thought that would cheer her up...

... It did not.

She throws on her robe, feeling a little too exposed in just the little set. Ruby brushes her hair and walks downstairs, where her aunt's left a note: Had to leave to work over weekend. I'm so sorry!!! I've left $100 on the side, treat yourself. I love you xx

Ruby makes herself some pancakes, taking her time in the measuring, the mixing, the careful zig-zagging of maple syrup, in the hopes that the concentration on that will distract her from everything else. She digs into her breakfast and sits in shitty silence. She should've broken up with Billy a long time ago, but she recognises how much he boosted her popularity the start of this year. Like, yeah, it was nice to hear that there's no one else like her (her ego's gonna remember that one) but that doesn't mean anything if the student body doesn't recognise her hot-and-sexy-ness! She know that people like her now, but what if breaking up with Billy crushes all of that and she goes back to zero?

Her stomach is overcome with anxiety, too, which Ruby struggles to grapple with. She feels like she's anxious all of the time right now, but she doesn't know how to even aid it, or what in particular is causing it. She just feels overwhelmed with nervousness. She looks down at her coffee and decides that won't help in her current malady, brewing herself one of her auntie's chamomile teas instead.

The day is spent in this awful state, Ruby awkwardly sitting around the house, trying to productively finish her plan for popularity. She only takes a break to get dressed, which turns into an hour's ordeal that she doesn't have the right outfit. Eventually she decides upon light-blue jeans, a lacy camisole, and a zip-up hoodie that she thinks is Harrington's. (She can't remember, it's been so long.) She walks downstairs just as the doorbell rings out.

"One sec—oh."

As she opens the door, she sees Harrington standing on her porch, holding a bouquet of red roses. Ruby frowns.

"Can we talk?" he asks.

Ruby keeps on looking down at the flowers. She guesses they're for her but why did he do that? Since when did he buy her flowers?

"Uh, I guess..."

She lets him in, awkwardly closing the door behind him. Her heart is starting to beat faster; she thinks of how disappointed she felt last night, and the fact he's here makes her feel comforted. She isn't sure how that leaves her quest for Snowflake Queen, but she cares more about Harrington than that in this moment.