006. 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐫𝐮𝐛𝐲

chapter six all about ruby

chapter six
all about ruby

🖤

IT'S OUTFITS LIKE THESE THAT RUBY feels unstoppable in — wearing her leather jacket, the kind NASCAR drivers wear, with jeans and old boots. She threw her hair up after she used the school pool, and she uses her jacket to cover her slightly-too-small t-shirt. Maybe she's had it since she was eight. It's a black top with a teddy, it's cute. It makes her feel like the coolest.

She's pretty much moved on from the thing with the history teacher, or even the fact that Harrington dove into the pool to save her from supposed drowning. What weird encounters? she thinks, to prove her point. She's so moved on, she's forgotten all about them. Like, how do you expect her to remember, when she walked back into school at lunch, and was immediately greeted by the voices of many teenager-sized angels, all singing hello to her. If this was heaven, her cherubs wore varsity jackets, and complimented her sick Halloween party.

She's the coolest, duh!

So. She walks into the gym feeling high on life. She's done it, she's back! She's got her popularity back, and even more! She won't just be Snowflake Queen of sophomore year, she'll be Snowflake Queen and Spring Fling Queen senior year! No ones done that since the fifties! Fuck Jackie, it's all about Ruby! Everything's back to normal! To sweet, sweet normal!

She realises the boys started playing a little earlier, because the game is in full swing when she sits down. But the second Billy sees her, she feels the air stiffen. Something feels off, and she can't put her finger on it. It annoys her, really. Her lunch has been so beautiful and Billy's the one trying to fuck it up.

She's just... confused! Something is wrong, she knows it. She tries to think what it might be. Harrington is still alive, so she guesses no one knows about their kiss. Everyone else still acts like she's the most popular, so nothing terrible has happened to her image... But something about Billy... The energy feels off. Ruby doesn't say that in a hippie way, she says that in a Subject X way. She can tell when energies are off. And Billy's is wrong.

Billy tries to take the ball off Harrington, who's hair is still wet from the pool. Ruby watches them, and she knows Billy's saying something to antagonise him. He tries to push Harrington to get the basketball, her eyes narrow. Harrington tries to move, to push him away, but Billy won't budge — until Harrington does it again, and Ruby feels her palms getting hot, and Billy is sent slamming to the floor.

Ruby puts a hand to her mouth. That was her — she knows that was her, amplifying Harrington's movement, because she can see Harrington's shock. He didn't do it. He would never use that sort of force, anyway, unless completely provoked.