042. 𝐛𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐦𝐞, 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫

chapter forty-twobite me, brenner alt: the best day ofsteve's 1985

chapter forty-two
bite me, brenner
alt: the best day of
steve's 1985

🖤

THE NIGHT CLOSES WITH RUBY making yet another phone call to her grandfather, desperately hoping he'd sort his shit out and show up in Hawkins. "Please, I need some help!" she pleads through the phone, trying to be quiet so the other kids staying in her house don't figure out who she's speaking to. But, she figures if he does return, they'll all know he's alive anyway.

Steve being the newest prey is what's freaking Ruby out. That night, she swaps her mom's bedroom for the sofas downstairs again, this time keeping a close watch on Steve, not Max, figuring the rest are looking after her. But no one else is looking after him, she thinks, miserably...

... She wakes up the next morning with her head on his lap. She isn't sure how that happened, but as she sits upright, prodding him awake, he gives her a funny look.

"What now?"

"Are you... well?"

Steve rolls his eyes. "No, some idiot just woke me up by giving me a bruise on my thigh—"

"Let's get breakfast," says Ruby. Steve groans, and Ruby grabs his hand, pulling him off the sofa. The rest of the kids seem to be asleep still — all except for Nancy and Robin, who have been waking up before the others, to quickly go to their respective homes to shower and change. It means that Ruby and Steve have to babysit, but then, when are they not?

"You don't need to babysit me," says Steve, rubbing his eyes.

Ruby gives him a look. "Yes, I do."

She grabs the box of pills her grandpa gave her, and gestures for Steve to open his hand out. He does so, and she drops a mountain of pills into it. He raises an eyebrow.

"OK, to stop any funny business from Vecna, your mind and body need to be in their best condition," says Ruby. "So, I'm sorry, but you're going California Girl."

"No."

"Yes."

"Actually," says Steve. "I've been working out, so I'm already in my best shape."

Ruby crosses her arms. "OK?"

"I'll show you, if you want," he says, defensively.

"OK, and I've been doing Pilates — what do you want us to do, compare abs?"

Steve pauses for a second. Ruby rolls her eyes.

"Isn't it, like, illegal to distribute your own prescription?" he says.