019. 𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐮𝐥𝐚

chapter nineteensleeping dracula

chapter nineteen
sleeping dracula

🖤

28th june, 1985

THIS IS THE STORY OF THE WORST WEEK of Ruby Brenner's life... Like, yeah, she knows she said that last year, but this time she really means it! Last year is nothing compared to the nightmarishness of this week. Ruby could fight fifty demo-monsters — from demodogs to, like, demo ... hippos — and it still wouldn't compare to this week. Last year, that naively-named "worst week" saw Ruby finding herself and being rewarded Snowflake Queen for it. This year, she doesn't lose herself — her entire body is stolen from her, a sleeping Dracula swooping in from the deepest shadows of the Upside Down. Because, as Ruby's beginning to realise, the good guys don't always win. Sometimes, the monsters succeed.

And this is how Ruby's monster won.

🖤

IT STARTED ON A WARM DAY IN JUNE — the sun was slowly setting into the night, and Ruby had just come back from a couple week's working in New York City. Through raw talent (... and abilities that made her charismatically magnetic), Ruby landed herself a gig modelling for Sports Illustrated, the swimsuit issue. She's yet to tell her dad, because the photos are a little more Playboy than Sears, but she looks so good! She posted Steve a copy the second they arrived, and he rang her immediately to say how great she looked, how proud he was. "You're the world's greatest model, Rubes!"

Now, she's back at home. Her auntie's working away so Ruby's spending the night at her dad's house — which would have been lovely, had it not been for Hopper's new hatred for El's boyfriend, Mike. Her dad finds every reason to barge into Ruby's room to complain about the teenage boy, and his lack of respect for parental figures. Ruby's just grateful that it's Mike he hates, not Steve...

... Although, it wasn't until Ruby told a Very Big Lie that Hopper allowed Steve to even step foot into the cabin. (He had been in there, let it be known — it's just that Hopper wasn't aware.) Even now, sometimes it's just easier for Steve to sneak in. Like, if Ruby and Steve want to have a, uh, sleepover. Hopper would never allow that — even considering Ruby's Very Big Lie — so it's just easier for Steve to climb through her window.

The only issue is that it creates certain issues. Issues like this:

"Ruby! You will not believe this!"

Ruby is lying on her bed when she hears her dad shouting. She looks down at Steve, who's head's between her legs. Her eyes widen, as a topless Steve jumps up, to hide in the closet. Ruby's bedroom is the opposite end of the hallway to Eleven's, which gives her just enough time to hide Steve every time her dad comes to her to complain. It's helpful that her dad likes to begin to conversation outside of El's door, unintentionally warning Ruby of the impending sheriff, about to walk in on his daughter and her boyfriend.