028. 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐚𝐮𝐥

chapter twenty-eightshopping maul

shopping maul

🖤

THE FIVE OF THEM RUSH INTO THE movie theatre; Dustin claims they're 'laying low,' in hopes the Russians will give up looking after them, but Ruby thinks it's because he's already fed up of babysitting a drugged Steve and Robin. She wants to take Dustin back to last year, when her and Steve were trying to corral the middle schoolers. Ruby's randomly reminded they won't be middle schoolers as of this September. Ew.

They slip into one of the theatres, Back to the Future playing. It's mostly packed, but there's a couple seats left over next to one another. They start walking down the stairs.

"There's three seats here," says Dustin, to Ruby. "Keep an eye on them."

"Why me?" she hisses, and someone behind them shushes them.

"He's your boyfriend!" says Dustin.

Ruby looks to her side, where Steve's already sat down. He's eating popcorn, and Ruby has no clue how he gained that. He smiles up at her, patting the seat next to him. Ruby grimaces.

"You owe me one, Henderson," she mutters.

"Sit between us!" says Steve, and he hops over to give Ruby the seat between him and Robin.

Ruby looks at the seat in disbelief. Robin looks up at her, dreamily.

"Yeah, Ruby," says Robin. "Roo-bee."

The guy who shushed them a minute ago shushes them again. Ruby's about to say something, but Steve tugs at her (stolen) jacket, and she begrudgingly sits down between the two drugged morons.

They're towards the end of the movie, Ruby remembers this part. McFly's about to go back to the future. She sinks into her seat, and in her perisperhal vision, can see (a) Robin chewing her hair, and (b) Steve eating popcorn from the trash. Ruby sighs.

She tries to focus on the film, but she keeps on glancing over at Steve — in particular, the blood all over him. His uniform is stained, and Ruby can't get the image of his bloody face out of her head. She feels sick to her stomach. But she thinks about last year, how Billy did the same to him — and then she thinks about the year before, when his face was bloody and swollen from Jonathan. Ruby keeps on thinking about all of these times where his head's been knocked so bad he should have a concussion, and what's the common denominator? They've all happened around the time the Upside Down has flared up. She knows it isn't her fault, but then, does this not feel like too weird to be a coincidence?

"It's all of your fault," the Mind Flayer tells her.

Not now, she thinks.

"You know he's going to die for you, don't you?"