027. 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐭𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫

chapter twenty-sevenall along the watchtower

all along the watchtower

🖤

RUBY CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW ANGRY she is.

This monster thinks it can possess her body, and she won't put up a fight? She keeps on thinking about the few days she's been stuck in her own mind — before they left, the kids told her it's the Fourth of July. It was, what, late June, the last she remembered? She lost that many days, imprisoned by the Mind Flayer? Everything sucks.

She gives up dialling her dad's landline, and instead, goes straight for 911. He isn't picking up, so she presumes — she hopes — he's at work. Unless something else is going wrong... Fuck, something has, hasn't it? It always goes wrong at the same time. Now is not the time for more things to be going wrong for her.

"Hello, you've dialled 911—"

"Police! Police!"

"Putting you through—"

Jesus, hurry up! she thinks.

"Hello, police—"

"I'm Ruby Brenner, I need to get a hold of my dad! He's Jim Hopper, he's chief in Hawkins. Is this—is this the local line? Can you get me through to him?"

There's a pause, before the woman on the other line says:

"He's not here right now. I can put you through to a deputy?"

Ruby looks at the clock. She's already spent ten minutes calling. What about Steve? She needs to go, now. If she takes any longer, she might miss her chance to save him.

"Can you help me? Can you—Can you tell all of the police out on duty, that if they see my dad, he needs to go to the mall, now.

"Uh, OK—?"

"Thank you, bye!"

Ruby hangs up the phone. She has to catch her breath; she didn't realise she was getting herself so worked up, trying to get through to her dad. She prays that the woman she spoke to will help her out. Ruby needs her dad.

She finally leaves the swimming pool's office, running towards her car. There's a massive dent in it from when she was flayed, but someone fixed the tyre, which is a win for her. She unlocks her car, and before the radio has even whirred into life, she's zooming down the street, straight towards the mall—

Hang on, the radio? Ruby doesn't listen to the radio! Ruby checks the passenger seat, where she normally dumps all of her mixtapes. It's empty. Ruby's mouth opens, shocked. Did the Mind Flayer seriously destroy her mixtapes, so she couldn't use them against him anymore? What a dick!