Chapter 16 - The Lady In The Portrait

You both stood still in shock, how she knew someone touched it was completely unknown. She stared you both up and down with a predatory glare. She came over and grabbed you by the face, her yellow eyes peered through your soul. Your muscles tensed, her hand squeezed your jaw locking it so you could not look away from her deadly presence.

"You are to meet me in my chambers in twelve minutes my dear," her voice was powerful and made you shiver.

The other girl took a quick glance at you giving you sympathy in her eyes.

"As for you," she continued.

"Don't touch it again and continue cleaning and there won't be any consequences this time."

You saw the girl tense up and quickly grab the cleaning supplies making her way swiftly to apologize. She bowed her head, her eyes wide,

"S-sorry madam it won't happen again," she stuttered.

She left the room quickly leaving you and lady dimitrescu alone for a second.

"Which one you you touched it," she asked you.

You tried to come up with a lie as quickly as you could.

"Don't try lying I can see right through you right now," her voice became more angry.

"I- s-she," you couldn't form a sentence.

"Speak!" She demanded.

"S-I touched it madam, I-I'm sorry," you tried to hide your lying.

"Lying will get you no we're," she looked at you disappointed.

"Ten minutes," she threw your face from her grip and began walking with the wine bottle still in hand and ducked her hat under the door, leaving the room. Her heels clicked in the hallway as you took a minute to un tense yourself.

You made your way carefully out of the room back near the stairs. You carefully looked around making sure no one was near, but also checking for the other maiden.

No one had been wondering the castle, not even the daughters, who usually would come to tease and start torturing you, in there monsteras ways.

You slowly walked down the stairs and to the main hall going to the dinning to go to the courtyard.

You stood in the dinning room trying to figure out we're you were actually going. The castle was too big and too easy to get lost in. You heard a rumble of pots in the kitchen.

You went to go investigate but saw nothing
but dead animals and blood. You could smell the dead animals hanging from the ceiling slowly rotting making you feel sick to your stomach.

Over viewing the table covered in blood, a cold feeling ran up your leg. A cold hand was around your ankle. The hand was just bone, the skin worn and grey. You could feel the hard cold bone tighten around your ankle like stepping in  wet cement and it quickly drying.

A hood slowly peered out from underneath the table, and screeching groan fallowed the creature hitting its head on the table and letting go of your ankle. You quickly backed up into the dinning room, buzzing filled your ears, getting dragged once more unable to see were you were going.

You looked around in a room with a huge portrait of a women holding a wine glass. Her dress was beautiful, her eyes were a crystal blue and her skin was delicate.

Cassandra appeared in-front of you obstructing your view of the tall beautiful painting.

"We're the hell are you supposed to be," Cassandra scolded you.

"What the hell was that!" You wanted answers to what was under the table.

"That's not important we're are you supposed to be?" She raised her eyebrow at you.

"All of you are horrible at answering questions," you got up ignoring her and looking at the painting behind her.

The painting was like something from a movie that lead into a secret room. The border was huge  covering the whole wall, the painting was so detailed of the women standing in her white dress. The dress was white and elegant it had small flower designs stitched into the dress. The dress looked like something from the 1900s with a huge dark navy rose on the women's chest. She worse a hat with two large white feathers that curled on the hat.

"That's mother's portrait, she painted it herself," she said very annoyed at you.

Satisfied she answered your question,

"Your mother's Chambers."

Cassandra gave you a shocked look but then grabbed your hand dragging you again.

This shit again?

Your couldn't see with the speed of how she flew.Hitting your head on many doors once again, and hitting your behind on stairs. you were dragged before a door.

"There," she said pouting dissolving into her flys and leaving you alone before the door.

The door was a dark oak with gold vines which seemed to be a them of the castle. The door had a emblem on it. The emblem was a rose with two swords going through it.

You took a deep breathe before knocking on the door to prepare yourself for what was coming. But you also still had questions to what the following night was and what it meant to her.

You gently knocked on the door, the hard wood hurt your knuckles.

"Come in dear~"

————————————————————————