Chapter 20 - The Warmth Of Spring

The beam of light stretches across your face. The warmth of the orange suns glare through the castle window sparkles on your skin. Your face glimmers of beauty and warmth in the early morning.

The feeling of soft cotton surrounds you. Your head perfectly leveled with the pillow. Your ribs feeling shrunken onto the bone from the lack of nutrients. Your pale skin making you look like you were infected by a plague. The dark circles under your eyes from restless sleep inside the castle.

Rough leather runs across your the soft skin of your cheek. Gently pulling your lip down as your eyes slowly begin to open in the morning shine.

The room fades from your blurry vision.

Your regain your sight to the color of white before you.

Lady Dimitrescu stands tall on your bedside, leaning down with something in her hand placing it on the night stand. Her slow movements, careful, and Pristine. The clack of her heals were much softer as she walked back from the nightstand. Her eye caught yours before quickly trying to look away from her. Her eyes always had an evil yet soft feeling when they gazed apon you.

She gently reached her hand down going into your pocket.

"I'll be taking that back dear."

You looked back to lady Dimitrescu's hand. It was the bright red lipstick you had stolen yesterday from her vanity.

She gave you a look as she smiled at you. Her smile felt warm, but she had won your game. Jelousy filled up your chest. You rolled her eyes at her, sitting up and crossing your arms.

"That wasn't fair I was sleeping," You mumbled.

Lady Dimitrescu looked at you with her eyebrow raised. She opened the golden cap of the lipstick and applied the crimson color onto her lips.

"Breakfast is waiting for you there, along with a list for today's activities." Lady Dimitrescu said she pat your head with her hand.
And continued making her way slowly out of the room, ducking her hat under the door.

You looked over to a tray of food. The castles food was normally moldy fruit or the wine of Lady Dimitrescu, rarely some stale bread and usually was brought to you by Daniella, once a week. The grapes were actually fresh, shinning in the sunlight after being freshly washed. Crispy bread sliced with fresh jam made your stomach twist and grumble in hunger.

Your frail hands reaching towards the food, unable to keep your arm stable. The taste of the fruity jam popped in your mouth. The burst if flavor making your stomach sick.

Each bite made you want to throw up, yet tasted like you haven't tasted anything in years. The jam had a odd after taste but was too good to not eat.

The note left on the tray read,

'Sweap the halls'
'Clean mistress dimitrescu's bath'
'Make the girls beds'
'Go to courtyard to garden,

Clenching your stomach you made your way to the halls grabbing a broom leaned against the wall. The halls felt as if they were miles long. Sweat dripped down your face with each sweep.

The sound of buzzing surrounded you from every angle. Bela and Cassandra appeared with a worried expression as you continued to sweep.

"Y/n you don't look well," they showed a great concern towards you.

You brushed them off with a sigh. You dismissed them from there concerns with a simple hand wave, they looked at each other then disappeared in there swarm. You buried your discomfort and quickly finished sweeping.

Your stomach twisted in turned. You made your way to the girls quarters, you stomach was feeling worse and you started to become light headed. You quickly threw the sheets and the blankets on to Bela's bed neatly. The red sheets went with her crimson room and dark oak furniture.

Walking down the hall you had to hold on to the railing. Your legs felt as if they were about to snap in two. Carrying the new sheets into Cassandras bed room was near impossible for your state of body.

Cassandra's room was a light cream color. The room was filled with dark yellow oil lamps, that flickered making the room feel seductive and inviting. The room was much warmer then most from her off collection of her oil lamps. Sweat dripped on the side of your face as you removed and changed the sheets of the bed. Your vision didn't pick up the rest of the room as you wanted to continue and get your chores done for the day.

Next was Danielas room, the room was and emerald green wall lamps flickered giving the room a dark shadow. The books piled on the floor not in there places on the selves. Books from large to small made your assignment harder, trying not to bump into them or even ruin one by stepping on it. Danielas sheets were placed on the bed after avoiding the obstacle course made from her desire to learn and read.

The girls rooms were elegant and expensive.

'They really are spoiled'

You could tell there mother cared about them very deeply even thought she could have the most god complex attitude that made you wanna rip your hair out and break something.

After finishing up the girls beds you began back downstairs and made your way to the courtyard. The courtyard was full of plants and beautiful dark crimson roses. Weeds stuck out from a few of the plants which puts you onto your next task. Making the garden pretty gave you a slight happiness. Seeing the garden complete of all its plants not a weed or dead plant to be seen, made a warm feeling your heart.

You made your way to the mistresses door, walking up a flight of stairs  and down a hallway filled of a red carpet, full of vintage furniture. There was a large dark oak door with the same sword and flower symbol on it.

'That has to be her bathroom right?'

You slowly open the door and walk inside not realizing what stood before you. Lady dimitrescu startled looked at you fully in the nude in a blood bath.

"Done with the other chores so soon?"

"If I had more time to prepare I would have gotten out sooner"

Your face became a bright red as you tried to not stare.

"Is something wrong dear"~