Secret Place

Ronan

I kept my eyes on my work. The eyes on me never left, the whispers never left, the pain never left.

I shake my knee up and down. My anxiety is going way up. I can't do this anymore. I'm about to snap.

I stood up abruptly, everyone's eyes glued to me, almost waiting for me to do something. I'll show them something.

"What is your problem ?" I say looking around at all of them. "Are you so bored with your tired little lives that you have to make up rumors about MY life ?" I continue to look at all of them in disbelief.

"You can say what you want about me. I don't care anymore. It's just sad that a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds behave like this. Do you realize that we are this," I hold up my finger and thumb, "close to being in the real world ? Is this the kind of example you want to set for the up coming generations ?"

They all sit there, mouths shut.

I shake my head, grab my stuff and leave the class room.

Luke watches me as I walk out of the room. They all do.

I run a hand through my hair and lean against the wall. Not even two minutes later, Mikey comes out. "Luke was about to come after you but I stopped him and said I better," he says sympathetically.

"I just don't know why everyone cares so much about my life when the life they think I have is based off of rumors." I sigh shaking my head.

"I know, it's because they're bored." He says sitting against the wall in front of me. I bring my knees up to my chest and set my head on my crossed arms.

The bell rings and Mikey gets up and pats me on the head before heading to his next class.

I stay in my position not really caring about class anymore. I keep my eyes glued to the floor as I think in silence.

I notice someone sit right beside me. I immediately recognize the cologne. It was Luke's, I bought him for his birthday 3 years ago. Nice to see he still uses the same stuff.

"Look, I know you don't wanna talk to me but I can't leave you alone." He sighs, I close my eyes. "You handled that really well though, very mature. You always were mature for your age." He said smiling lightly.

"What do you want, Luke ?" I sigh. He pulls me close and my mind wants to push away but my body immediately melts into him due to habit.

"I wanted to check on you." He replies genuinely. I breathe out and lay my head on his shoulder. "What are people gonna think of the schools whore leaning on the popular stud ?" I ask staring in front of us. "Honestly, I don't care." He said laying his head on mine.

"You worked hard for your reputation, now you're just throwing it away ?" I ask calmly. He shakes his head, "I shouldn't have one, I should've always put you first, and I realize that now. I'm just sorry I was too late." He breathes closing his eyes.

"I don't really want to talk about it." I say sincerely.

He nods his head, "I know but I should've. And I just want you to know how strong you are. You're the strongest woman I know, and I made some mistakes. Many, mistakes actually. But I won't ever stop regretting those choices I made."

I bring my hands up to my eyes, I can already feel the tears welling up. "I really wish you were there for me. I never stopped hoping." I say, my lip quivering a little bit.

"I know, baby. And I'm so sorry. I really am. I'm here now." He coos, setting a hand on my thigh but not in a sexual way, but in a concerned way.

Baby. That's something I have heard a long time. I remember the first time he called me by the familiar pet name. His face flushed. He was so embarrassed at his slip up and apologized profusely. I just laughed and took his hand in mine, "It's okay, Baby's okay." I replied before kissing his cheek.