Chapter 5

As soon as Harry and Griphook's handshake ended, James came out of the vault, caring a small pouch of money. James looked at Harry and Griphook before getting in the minecart and yelling for Griphook to hurry up, not even taking a glance at Harry. Harry looked down as he and Griphook started heading towards the minecart. Harry went in first, then Griphook. As soon as Harry was seated the minecart zoomed off to the front of the bank, and once it was there James left the minecart and started heading towards the front lobby of the bank at a rate where Harry barely had enough time to thank Griphook for his service, then jog off to catch up with James before he was criticized again.

Once they got out of Gringotts, James grabbed Harry's wrist and dragged him to the various shops to get what was needed. In less than two hours, they had everything Harry would need for Hogwarts. As they were walking back to the Leaky Cauldron, they passed a pet store. When Harry passed it, he could feel something pulling him towards it, some sort of pull. He stopped walking and turned his head to look at the shop. He looked through the window, and past the owls and rats, even past the cats, there was one out of the three snakes in the very far back, too far for most to see, that was staring at him. From where he was, he would guess that the snake was a snowy white color, with a black stomach. He couldn't see what color his eyes were.

That was Harry's familiar.

Harry was about to head into the store when someone grabbed his arm and started to basically drag Harry towards the Leaky Cauldron. Harry looked up and saw James looking forward, his expression mad. After a few seconds Harry finally got the confidence to speak up to James.

"Father... could we please go into the pet store, I saw my familiar, all the way in the back. Please. I'll pay back any money it costs to get them but please... it's my familiar." Harry begged, trying to stop James from heading any further. James stopped, and just stood there, looking straight ahead of him for a minute or so, before dragging Harry, with twice as much force, to a small alley between two shops. Once they got there, and James had looked around to make sure that nobody was looking, he slapped Harry.

"Listen here, brat, we will not be going into that pet store to get you a pet. Only the strongest have familiars, like Dumbledore and your sister." Polly had lied about her familiar bond, just so she could get a rare pet. "You, however, are not strong. You are weak and an embarrassment to the Potter name. There is no way whatever you felt back there was a familiar bond, I'd even go as far as to say that you were just faking it so that you could get a pet. Trying to waste all our money... all your sisters money, on yourself." James whispered, his face inches away from Harry's. He spoke in such a calm and quiet voice that it caused Harry to start shaking.

James grabbed a hold of Harry's wrist, and dragged Harry back to the Leaky Cauldron to go home, with Harry behind him, silently crying for the second time that day.

The next day, he had a hand shaped bruise on his wrist and cheek...

but that's ok...

because at least his father noticed him.