Chapter Thirty-Three

Chapter Thirty-Three: Maggie

Despite my head still muddled with memories of what happened earlier, questions of where the fuck Evan could be proved to be more abundant.

Perhaps this is what I get for memorizing his schedule, but he should've arrived home by now. Or at least texted me when he'll be coming home. I told him before he wasn't obligated to tell me his whereabouts, but he said it was common courtesy.

I should've just stuck to not fucking caring because look who's still up at midnight on a Wednesday, pacing the living room for a man who's likely gone out with a girl?

I dismissed the bitter afterthought. Every time I think about him, she follows suit, and no doubt it was the shame reminding me that I shouldn't be thinking about him at all, for that matter. As my conscience argues, "That boy is taken."

"First of all, it's harmless." the little devil on my shoulder chimed in. "Plus, he didn't say they were dating, just that they were getting to know each other."

I'd shut it all down once I realized the twisted part of me was sounding too much like a homewrecker. It still fucking counts, I'd scold myself before disregarding the issue..

I sound like a lunatic.

I guess this is what getting attached gets you, but I knew sooner or later I had to accept the fact Evan is his own person, that he has other people in his life, and I just so happen to not be a part of it anymore. Still, I was never good at being nonchalant, so I tried to shift my focus on other matters, such as the incident that happened with Levi.

In hindsight, it appeared sincere. Levi is rarely vulnerable, and when he is, it's explosive.

Maybe there's always going to be a part of me that looked at Levi and was willing to give him the benefit of a doubt, time and time again. Everyone has those kinds of people in their lives.

The kind of people who, no matter how much they fuck up, you'll always have it in you to look past the flaws and the mishaps, because is there anything else you could do?

We've gone this far and we've seen the ugliest parts of each other, what more is a slight bump in the road? I haven't been the kindest to him, and he hasn't been the kindest to me, yet we're still here.

That has to mean something... right?

A knock on the door broke me out of my reverie, as I jumped from where I was sitting on the couch and immediately sprinted to greet who it was, thinking it was Evan.

I had a welcoming smile on my face as a sense of relief washed over me knowing he was okay, but all of that instantly vanished when the sight of him being bolstered by Alyssa, who was visibly struggling to carry him, greeted me in return.

She stared at me with pleading eyes and mouthed a quick "Help."

Soon, we were wobbling into the living room with Evan's arms slung around our shoulders as we dragged him to the best of our ability. He was intoxicated, that's for sure, however, questions as to why he'd go out drinking after having recovered from his fever were what boggles my mind the most.

It was unethical, let's start with that, and he seemed fine when we parted ways this morning. So why?

Both Alyssa and I grunted as we dropped Evan on the couch, making sure to do it gently so he wouldn't get hurt; and I reassured Alyssa she can let go while I slid my hand at the back of Evan's head and slowly, but surely, placed it on the armrest of the couch.