Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight: Evan

It wasn't long before I started getting used to the bustling life of New York City, but because I reside in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, there wasn't as much ruckus as I anticipated.

It was only when I would step out of my apartment and go to the nearest stores to buy some groceries is when the real mayhem began, and where my original LA roots would start to become visible to certain bystanders as I found it difficult to navigate through the streets without having the occasional curses thrown at me with how slow-paced I was being.

Eventually, I started to get the hang of it without immense frustration getting in the way of my progress. All it takes is a little bit of grit and willpower not to lose my temper and snark back when someone gets on my nerves.

I also started to adjust better to my new home, and although I'm not necessarily bothered with the idea of living alone, it does start to get a little bit dreary when there's not enough company to fill the vastness of the apartment.

Sometimes I catch myself caving into my own boredom and having this inexplicable need to go out clubbing in the dead silence of the night, but I've done that far too many times in the last couple of months that I should at least allow myself some healthier coping mechanisms.

Checking in with my friends back in Los Angeles helps, but it's still not the same as meeting up with them in real life and getting to talk to them face-to-face.

I just have to remind myself that this is only temporary and that eventually, my classes will start soon at NYU and I'll be able to meet as many people as I would like.

The opening of classes is scheduled a week from now, and so far I haven't been able to contain the growing excitement inside of me at the thought of attending college for the first time.

Excited about meeting new people, having something to look forward to in the morning when I wake up, seeing my schedule be filled with tasks and errands that'll stimulate me, exhaust me, but at the same time will make me feel good every time I arrive back at home.

Knowing that this is the type of normalcy that I deserve.

It was liberating to think about, and the more that I keep crossing out the days of my calendar and seeing that I'm getting closer and closer to attending University, the harder it is for me to just sit still and be patient for the momentous day to arrive.

Usually, I'd have someone to celebrate these types of occasions with, but considering I am still yet to meet new people and my friends aren't here with me, I'll probably just end up ordering takeout and dine in with myself, buy a bottle of wine or two.

As I whipped out my phone and dialed the number of the nearest pizza place here in Manhattan that I managed to find online, my eyes roamed freely in the newly added contact I had saved recently, one being under the name of Alyssa.

The ends of my lips tugged up at the memory of her as I wondered how she's getting settled here in NYC after the last time we spoke at the airport, it also made me curious to know if she's managed to meet new people, and knowing her from our brief interactions alone, it wouldn't be unlikely.

But still, the thought knocks at the doors of my subconscious wanting to be found out, and before I could even stop myself, my mind unconsciously lets my fingers drift into calling her number instead of the pizza place I was planning to order from.

The dial tone taking a couple of seconds to ring and I start to question myself if she would even answer, not reconsidering she might end up being busy-