Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven: Evan

After a chatter-filled five-hour flight that consisted mostly of me and Alyssa getting to know each other with some occasional bantering here and there, we finally arrived in New York.

I must say, it isn't different from the last time I visited here with my parents when I was a kid and if anything, the atmosphere almost feels the same. The people are just as loud as last time and are just as hurried to get ahead of everyone with no regard to how they're coming across, whether they may appear a tad bit abrasive and inconvenient.

In short, it's still the same New York City that I visited when I was younger.

Alyssa and I were practically glued to the hip even as we got off the plane together, entered the airport building, and retrieved our luggage at the baggage claim area.

But even until we hopped off the aircraft, we found it hard to go our separate ways as we just stood in the middle of the airport, fidgeting in our spots as I contemplated whether or not I should get her number and still keep in touch with her after this.

Because not gonna lie, I did enjoy her company throughout our entire flight. We never ran out of things to talk about despite how glaringly different we were from each other, saved by our mutual interests in video games, Chad Stahelski movies, and comic books.

She made me feel like there was a life outside of our time together back on the plane because even if we won't achieve anything out of this romantically, I can see her being a friend at least.

It's been a while since I last talked to a girl without the intention of just spending less than 24-hours with her and quickly erasing her from my memory the day after.

Because for once, I can see multiple scenarios where we can take this to the next level. Whether it be intimately or platonically, for once, I actually wanna see where this newly developed friendship I have with Alyssa can go.

"So..." she trailed off as we stood facing each other, not knowing what to say next because our last exchange of words will now define what we'll become after this.

"This is our awaited departure, I guess," she said with a grin before it abruptly fell "Not that I'm saying I anticipated leaving you and all-"

"No, it's okay, I understand." I reassured as she let out a relieved sigh "However, I must say this departure wasn't something I was looking forward to. I had a great time getting to know you."

That instantly lifted her spirits as a huge smile overtook her face "Really? Me too." she said as she bit her lower lip "I had a great time as well, considering I didn't expect to make a friend from my flight here but you made the journey more worthwhile."

"Same with me," I stared at her gleaming blue eyes that almost had a trace of... hope in them. Or maybe I was just imagining things because, for some reason, I was getting the impression that much like me, she's also hoping that said journey won't just end here.

That it'll prolong because it has the potential, and I can see it when it comes to her, feel it even, and it's been a long time since I've last had anything, or anyone, to be hopeful about.

To want to hold onto and think maybe, just maybe... they'll stay.

That she'll stay.

"Usually I'm not the kind of person to initiate friendships from 5-hour flights considering I need a certain amount of time to get to know someone better before trying to pursue anything with them but..." I proclaimed in earnest as she let out a huff of laughter at that, yet appearing eager to know where I'm heading with this.