Chapter One

Chapter One: Evan

I look up at my bedroom ceiling, just gazing thoughtlessly at the plain white concrete as I listen to my current companion snore peacefully beside me.

It's 9:00 AM right now, and from what I can recall last night, I arrived home with a woman who, as I stared at her from the corner of my eye, has luscious blonde hair, smooth tan skin, and a curvaceous body.

But the only feeling I was engulfed with was neither satisfaction nor well-spent exhaustion, I just felt empty. Despite this being the apartment that I shared with Jasper and how she'll be the one doing the inevitable walk of shame, I just can't help this sinking feeling I always get after nights of attempted pleasure.

It's happened on several occasions now every time I bring a woman home, but at this point, the more I do it the more I've given up on the idea that this was gonna fucking do anything to cleanse me and my sanity.

I shut my eyes in hopes that this wave of melancholy was gonna go away, but as soon as my eyelids closed, all I saw was her.

The image I cultivated inside my head always felt so vivid that it almost felt like she was actually here with me, right now, on my bed, sleeping with me instead of some stranger I met in a club whose name I've already forgotten.

God, can you just move the fuck on already? She's not coming back, and you got a hot chick on your bed but instead, you're just moping around like a fucking loser, stop it already.

It's been three years.

It was a pointless, short-lived relationship that was never bound to last.

She never loved you because if she did...

I shut my subconscious completely, not wanting to hear another reminder of how my life came to how it is now, sad and pathetic, pining over a girl who's out there somewhere, probably had forgotten about me.

I don't know why I still do this, all this pining and obsessing over someone who didn't have to hesitate to leave me like our entire relationship barely meant anything to her, and I get it, her stupid fucking dad just had to show up and ruin everything-

I take some time to breathe, noticing the way I'm blowing some steam off again by reminiscing memories that are already behind me. I already spent three New Year's Eve parties, graduated high-school, and moved out of my parents' house, but for some unknown reason, she's still in my mind spoiling my mood whenever she gets the chance.

Maggie Carter. Maggie fucking Carter.

The day of our supposed plan to run away like a bunch of misfits was also the same day that she decided to ditch me without as much as an explanation, a day that was still etched in my memory, fresh as ever.

Every time I look back on that memory it still felt new each time, the same as when I came to terms with the fact she was gone and was most likely never gonna come back.

I tried contacting her several times after that and even came to the point of forcing every single one of my parents' employees to get a hold of Wayne so that I could hunt him down, but it was almost as if she refused to be acknowledged.

But even then, I still didn't give up. I went as far as booking a flight to New York to do a fucking manhunt for her, but if only if it weren't for Veronica, who somehow got informed of my escapades, stopped me before I could even land a foot on NYC, saying how it's risky and how Maggie probably wouldn't have wanted me there.

As sick as this may seem, I grew an unnecessary grudge against Veronica after that, thinking how can a mother let her daughter go off and live with her manipulative and toxic father?