Chapter 1: The Stage

Ανδρόνικα sauntered onto the stage and addressed Sōkrátēs with a bow. Sōkrátēs greeted Ανδρόνικα with a simple nod and seized a book on the table next to him. Ανδρόνικα looked at Sōkrátēs apprehensively.

        "147", Ανδρόνικα said clearly. 

        Ανδρόνικα glanced at Sōkrátēs and exhaled, waiting for him to flip the pages. Ανδρόνικα shut her eyes in distress and waited for Sōkrátēs to say something to her. It seemed to be ages before Sōkrátēs responded to Ανδρόνικα.

        After a long time, Sōkrátēs finally spoke. He switched his focus from the book to Ανδρόνικα and smiled.

        "Αριστος". Sōkrátēs remarked.

        Ανδρόνικα opened her eyes in relief and walked off the stage. Everyone stood up and applauded.

        "Good job, girl!" Ptolema pronounced, patting Ανδρόνικα on the back, "You did good", she nodded and smiled at Ανδρόνικα. Ανδρόνικα sighed and nodded in agreement. Ptolema looked up at the stage then looked at Ανδρόνικα.

        "Ptolema," Ανδρόνικα pointed to the stage, "you should get ready. You're next. You don't want to be late on your big day." Ανδρόνικα laughed a little bit and turned to Ptolema for her response.

        "You're right." Ptolema gazed at Ανδρόνικα, "I was just going to get ready." Ptolema's smile was wiped from her face.

        Ανδρόνικα noticed Ptolema's worried face and put her hand on Ptolema's back to comfort her.

        "What's wrong?" Ανδρόνικα asked, "Is there something bothering you?" Ανδρόνικα continued to ask Ptolema.

        Ptolema hesitated before saying, "Do you think..." she paused, "Do you think my child....will be..." Ptolema shut her mouth as if she couldn't finish the rest of her question to Ανδρόνικα.

        "Of course you will." Ανδρόνικα understood what Ptolema was trying to say and she gleamed, "Even if it isn't...I'll still support you." Ανδρόνικα told Ptolema, "That's what friends do." Ανδρόνικα grinned.

        Ανδρόνικα put her hand on Ptolema's shoulder and Ptolema looked at Ανδρόνικα with confusion and surprise. Ανδρόνικα pointed to Ἀλέξανδρος and said, "After all, he's watching you too." Ανδρόνικα smiled at Ptolema.

        Ἀλέξανδρος walked up to Ptolema and commented, "I hope our child," Ἀλέξανδρος paused, "doesn't get cursed..."

        Ptolema turned to look at her husband and nodded. Ανδρόνικα noticed her eyes beginning to cloud with worry.

        "I wish you the best of luck." Ανδρόνικα strolled to her seat and gave Ptolema a warm look.

        Ptolema walked up onto the platform and saw Sōkrátēs, who was standing there waiting for Ptolema.

        Anxiously, she looked up at Sōkrátēs, who already had the book under his arm. He took out the book and looked at Ptolema with an expressionless face. He then turned to the first page and looked up at Ptolema for an answer.

        "294", Ptolema said in a shaky voice, trying to keep herself calm and collected. She didn't want to embarrass herself in front of so many people.

        "Very well." Sōkrátēs responded to Ptolema.

        Sōkrátēs flipped the pages one by one until he finally stopped on one page. Sōkrátēs paused for a moment. Ptolema looked away from Sōkrátēs and glanced at Ἀλέξανδρος with worry and fear. Ἀλέξανδρος met her gaze and gave her serene countenance, trying to calm down Ptolema. Ptolema shifted her gaze and looked at Sōkrátēs again.

        "Adrian", Sōkrátēs shifted his gaze from the book to Ptolema.

         Ptolema sighed in relief and collapsed on the floor, gasping for air. Sōkrátēs grabbed her arm and quickly helped her up.

        "Thank you," Ptolema stood up and bowed.

        Ἀλέξανδρος rushed to Ptolema's side as Ptolema quickly went down the steps to meet Ἀλέξανδρος.

        "Oh, I'm so glad." Ἀλέξανδρος hugged Ptolema.

        "Me too." Ptolema gave a sigh of relief.

        "You guys should clear out. The next person is about to come up." Ανδρόνικα spoke.

        "You're right." Ptolema nodded and led Ἀλέξανδρος to the nearest clear seat.

        "By the way," Ανδρόνικα whispered as she looked around at the other chairs where others sat and chatted, "where even are they?"

        "You mean the next person?" Ἀλέξανδρος asked.

        "Yeah..." Ανδρόνικα looked around.

        "I...have no idea." Ptolema glanced at Ανδρόνικα and shrugged, then also took a look around at the other people.

***********************************************************************

Ανδρόνικα (Andronika) Feminine form of Greek Andronikos. Andronika means "victory of a warrior."

The name Sōkrátēs (Socrates) means Whole Rule and is of Greek origin.

Definition of Ariston: excellence. Meaning of Ariston: Derived from Greek αριστος (aristos) meaning "the best"

The name Ptolema means "Aggressive, warlike" and is of Greek origin.

Via Latin Alexander, originally from the Greek Ἀλέξανδρος (Aléxandros), from αλέξειν aléxein meaning "to ward off, keep off, turn away, defend, protect" and ἀνδρός andrós, genitive of ἀνήρ anḗr meaning "man"

Adrian is a form of the Latin given name Adrianus or Hadrianus. Its ultimate origin is most likely via the former river Adria from the Venetic and Illyrian word Adur, meaning 'sea' or 'water'. Adur also means 'holy fire' in the Middle Persian language