Chapter 2: Adonis and Σοφία

Adonis suspired and gazed at Σοφία. 

        "We can't stay here forever, you know." Σοφία met Adonis' gaze, "We aren't even allowed to be here, Adonis." Σοφία said in an irritated tone as she stared at Adonis and waited for a response.

        "Alright fine...we'll go." Adonis sighed and led Σοφία out of the backstage and smiled nervously at everyone in the crowd.

        Sōkrátēs noticed Adonis and Σοφία emerging from the backstage and looked at them with a confusing countenance.

        Σοφία saw Sōkrátēs and mumbled, "Adonis is extremely shy, we were staying in the backstage since the beginning..."

      Sōkrátēs sighed and grabbed the book while Σοφία told Adonis to go down from the stage. Adonis, while a little hesitant at first, walked down and sat on a chair, watching Sōkrátēs and Σοφία on the stage.

        "Number?" Sōkrátēs asked Σοφία.

        Σοφία looked around before answering, "5".

        She tried to keep her voice down, so it wouldn't startle that many people, but still tried to make her voice confident so that Sōkrátēs could hear her clearly.

        The crowd gasped in surprise and soon, the silent suspense that had overridden the crowd was replaced by talking and murmuring.

        "A single-digit number?!" Ptolema exclaimed, "How is that even possible? I didn't even know they existed. When I was still in school, I only learned there were either 3 digits or 2 digits...and the 2 digits are bad luck. What does a single-digit mean?"

        "I have no idea. I guess we'll just have to find out." Ανδρόνικα said.

        "I...I think a single-digit number..." Ἀλέξανδρος's voice was faded out by the crowd around them.

        "What did you say?" Ptolema asked.

        "I think a single-digit number resides in a demon..." Ἀλέξανδρος repeated.

         Ptolema and Ανδρόνικα's smiles dissipated as worry and fear washed over their faces.

         Sōkrátēs stared at Σοφία in disbelief.

         "You...you know what that means right?" Sōkrátēs stared at Σοφία and whispered so that no one else in the crowd would hear.

        Σοφία kept quiet and looked at Sōkrátēs. Σοφία opened her mouth, about to say something, then decided not to.

        After a long time, Σοφία said, "Yes, I do."

        Sōkrátēs held his breath as he flipped the pages. After a few seconds, Sōkrátēs had arrived at the designated page.

        "There are two children..." Sōkrátēs said quietly.

        "I-I know," Σοφία responded quickly and looked down at the ground.

        "T-their names are K-Κῆρες and Ἀχλύς," Sōkrátēs said sorrowfully.

        Σοφία tried to keep calm but still failed in the end. Σοφία covered her face and laid down helplessly on the floor. Some people ran out the door as if fearing for their lives. Others rushed to Σοφία's side and began to comfort her.

***********************************************************************

It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Adonis is "extremely good looking, handsome"

It is of Greek origin. The meaning of Σοφία (Sophia) is "wise, wisdom".

In Greek mythology, the Keres /ˈkɪriːz/ (Κῆρες), singular Ker /ˈkɜːr/ (Κήρ), were female death-spirits. They were the goddesses who personified violent death and who were drawn to bloody deaths on battlefields.

Achlys /ˈæklɪs/ (Ancient Greek: Ἀχλύς "mist" or "darkness") is an ancient Greek goddess who symbolizes the mist of death. According to some ancient cosmogonies, Achlys was the eternal night before Chaos.