Chapter 8: Life at Home - present time

Κῆρες's pov

        "Morning papa." I yawned and stretched my arms. 

        "Good morning Ker!" Dad opened the fridge and put a carton of eggs inside.

          "Pancakes again?" I sighed and sat down around the table.

        "Sorry Ker, we don't have that much money. I can only afford so little." Adonis handed Κῆρες a plate of pancakes and got a plate for himself.

        "Then...can I go outsi-"

        "Don't talk with your mouth full!" dad interrupted.

        I rolled my eyes and continued to chew. I finished my food and put the plate in the sink.

        "Can I go outside and get the food, papa?" I asked while looking at him, "You never let me go outside..."

        "And you already know why." Dad's tone grew cold.

        I went upstairs, "Get a job, dad!" I shouted downstairs and went to my room.

        "Stupid name..." I jumped onto my bed and sighed, "I have to stay home all day and do nothing just because of my name."

        So boring...I don't even have a tablet let alone a book. I got up and looked outside my window. I watched all the neighborhood kids play in their fields.

        "Wait! αριστος!" I heard someone say.

        "Yes, mama?"

         "Don't ever go near that house. They have demons inside..."

        "O-okay mama..." αριστος said and walked away from our house.

         I laid down on my bed again. Why did dad even choose this name for me? It's so stupid. I wish I could just tear it off like a nametag. If only it were that easy...

         "Ker!!" I heard my dad call me.

        "What?!" I called back.

        "Come down here," Dad responded

         I rushed downstairs and went to my dad.

        "What's up?"

        "Our neighbors wanted to say happy birthday." My dad pointed to a kid and man dressed in white.

        "Here you go!" The man gave me a card.

        "Bye! Have a nice day Galen!" Dad waved to the man and I looked at him in surprise.

         "You know him?" I asked my dad.

        "Well, yes, but we don't have that good of a good relationship." My dad sat down at the table.

        "Come to think of it..."

        "What?"

        "You've never celebrated my birthday ever. Not even once." I turned to my dad.

        Dad looked around the room and looked really embarrassed.

         "R-really? That's funny..haha..."

        "Why?" I asked him.

         It's like he always forgot about my birthday. But from the way he responded, he's definitely hiding something from me...

        "Y-you know it's...it's kind of late. You should go to your room and sleep." dad stuttered.

        "I mean it's not like I have anything to do tomorrow. I can stay up late." I retorted, trying to get the truth out of him.

        "You really should open the note, you know..." dad said, pointing to the note that Galen sent me, "it's your first ever birthday card from the neighbors."

        I opened the card and it said: Happy birthday, Κῆρες. It's a pleasure to finally meet you again after so many years.

        "D-dad...I've met him before?!"

        "Well..." dad scratched his head in embarrassment, "technically yes, you did meet before..."

        I could have sworn I was always indoors...I never went outside or ever met someone other than my dad.

           I continued to read the note: Let me guess, you don't know me, right? You probably don't know why your dad doesn't celebrate your birthday, either. I'm guessing he never told you.

        Who in hell is this 'Galen' guy? He's like a stalker...except we've met and my dad knows him.

        "Who...who is this guy?" I asked my dad while pointing to Galen's name at the end of the note.

        "We've met and you've met him before...that's all you need to know." dad said quietly, clearly still keeping something from me.

        There he goes again, being sketchy as hell. I really want to know what's behind all of this, but it's like there's a door blocking me from knowing....Whatever, I'll just read the note. I shrugged and looked down at the note.

        I continued the note, still wondering what my dad meant and what he was hiding from me. Alright, Κῆρες, I think it's time you know. Know who I am and why your dad doesn't celebrate your birthday. The truth is...yo-

        "Th-that's enough of that..." dad grabbed the note from my hand.

        "H-hey! That's MY birthday card though!" I struggled to get it back from my dad, "What's wrong with reading a birthday note??"

        "Nothing. Go to your room, right now." dad said in a cold voice.

        I stared at dad for a long time, then stomped upstairs into my room. Dang it!! And just when I was about to know...I was interrupted.

        "I hate you, Galen!!" I heard stomping on the floor downstairs, "I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! You're a sick liar! I hope this never happens again..."

        I peeked downstairs and saw my dad stepping on the note, ripping it to pieces. No!! The note! I watched as my dad threw each bit of the note into the burning fire.

       "Dad..." I whispered to myself.