Chapter 23: The Policemen

Ἀχλύς's pov

        "Why did you come back?" I looked up at Ker, "I thought you ran away for good."

        I chuckled a little bit until I saw the look on Ker's face. She took a while to take a deep breath and I waited for her to respond.

       "People are calling the police on me," Ker whispered to me with a scarred face.

         In shock and surprise, I stood up immediately. I know this isn't the time right now, but I need to know.

         "What did you do?!!" I tried to shout at Ker to confront her and figure out what happened.

        Ker rolled her eyes and pushed me aside like I wasn't even there. I was furious at her now.

          "Tell me right now." I stared at Ker and said with a cold and serious tone, "I need to know right now." I said to Ker.

        To my surprise, Ker just simply shook her head, "I can't, we don't have time." Ker continued to say, "If we spend too much time talking the police will catch us."

        She's got a point...but I need to know.

        Ker looked at me for a little while then continued to pack her belongings into her backpack.

        "You WILL tell me." I stood in front of Ker, demanding an answer from her.

         Ker looked down at the ground and then looked back up at me. Come on Ker, hurry up. As you said, the police will catch us if you don't hurry. Just tell me! Is it that hard?

        "Alright fine...so I was walking around because I ran away," Ker said quietly, "which I regret." She added.

        "Yeah, forget the unimportant stuff. Keep talking." I responded to Ker and Ker nodded.

        "People saw me in this form and they called the cops. We need to pack before they get here." Ker said in a shaky voice.

          Yeah, she's right...I've spent too much time trying to confront her. I helped Ker pack up her things and shove them into Ker's backpack. We were moving at a steady speed, So I thought we were going to be able to get out in time. However, that's where I made my first mistake.

          The door's doorbell rang and I looked at the window outside. There were policemen gathered around everywhere.

          Damn it! We're too late. We can't escape now anyway...

        I got up slowly to open the front door. There's nothing else to do...they might just barge into the house and completely destroy the door to get to us. There really isn't an escape. I put my hand on the doorknob to unlock it and I felt something pull me down. It was Ker.

        "Are you crazy?!" Ker whispered loudly into my ear, "They're here to kill me!" She stared at me.

        "We can't just jump out the window...there are policemen everywhere." I tried to explain to Ker my logic.

       "We can't just let them see me just like this!" Ker lost control and shouted at me loudly.

        I stared at Ker. ...why did she do that?! She just ruined it for us!! Maybe if we kept quiet, they would go away. Now we REALLY don't have a way out of here.

       "She's in there! I heard her!" The policemen began to shout and they all loaded their guns.

        There is nothing we can do now..this is the only choice. I took a deep breath and looked at Ker. Ker nodded at me and I sighed again. Try to keep your innocent look. Don't let them see Ker. Don't let them find out. Don't let them... The policeman knocked on the door aggressively. There was no way out of this.