Chapter 3: The Hospital

Σοφία laid down on the bed with Adonis next to her. Galena, the nurse, walked next to Σοφία with a clipboard. Galena grabbed the pen in her pocket and looked at Adonis and Σοφία.  

        "What are the names?" Galena smiled at Adonis and Σοφία and asked, about to write the names down on her clipboard.  

        Σοφία opened her mouth to respond but decided not to do. She kept quiet out of embarrassment.

        "Y-you want to answer?" Σοφία stuttered as she asked Adonis.

        Adonis slowly shook his head. Adonis was in the same position as Σοφία. Neither wanted to answer Galena.

        "I need to know their names..." Galena's smile dissipated. She was clearly confused by the situation.

        Σοφία finally decided to talk, "Their names are..."

        Adonis looked at the ground and Σοφία looked at Adonis for a second.

        "Go on..." Galena said, waiting to get an answer.

        "Κῆρες and Ἀχλύς", Adonis blurted out.

        Galena's smile faded and she stood there, speechless. Adonis and Σοφία looked up at Galena, then looked at each other.

        "I-I'll get the doctor." Galena ran out of the room quickly.

        Adonis and Σοφία glanced at each other for a moment then looked away. They were both extremely embarrassed by their children's names.

        After a while, there were footsteps approaching the room. Σοφία and Adonis looked up to see who came.

        "I'm back." Galena said, bringing another person along, "This is Galen." Galena pointed to the man beside her. "As of today, he is your doctor and he will take care of you," Galena hesitated before continuing, "and your children..."..and you're children

        "Hello," Galen poke calmly, greeted Σοφία and Adonis"I need Adonis to step out of the room, please. Thank you."

        Adonis sighed. He didn't know if he wanted to be glad that he had children or if he wanted to be sad. Both him and Σοφία were too embarrassed to even say their names. How would they be able to live with them?

        After a while, Galen opened the door to the room and said, "You may come in." He motioned with his hand for Adonis to step inside.

        Adonis looked at the children and stared at them for a long time, not knowing how to feel about them.

        "G-Galen?" Σοφία asked.

        "Yes ma'am?"

        "Can you please step out of the room?" Adonis could tell she was trying to keep calm and serene.

        "Of course." Galen walked out of the room and closed the door.

        "Adonis, I think we shouldn't have these children..." Σοφία told Adonis in a sorrowful voice.

        "W-what?" Adonis was extremely surprised, "But you wanted children ever since I met you!"

        "I-I know that..."

        "Are you just going to get rid of the children you wanted for so long?" Adonis asked.

        "Adonis." Σοφία said, "These are not children."

        Adonis already knew what she was trying to say.

        "These are devils. Demons. They're cursed, Adonis. These are not children, let alone my children. They are not my children and they never will be." Σοφία's tone grew harsh.

        "But-" Adonis still wanted to fight back. After all, he never believed in these myths and legends in the first place.

        "If you want to stand up for demons, go ahead, but I am never changing my mind." Σοφία stared at Adonis furiously for a very long time, waiting for him to respond.

        "Are you just going to hate your own children just because of their name?!" Adonis shouted, "Who even said Sōkrátēs was allowed to choose their children's names?"

        As soon as Adonis said what he did, he knew he messed up badly. There was no way to take back the words he said. Adonis knew he could only wait for the outcome and do nothing of it.

        "Excuse me?!" Σοφία said, clearly offended, "You know how much he means to me. He gave you your name and mine as well!" Σοφία's expression was even more furious than before.

        Adonis said nothing.

        "He is wise, unlike your choice of words." Σοφία walked out the door and slammed the door behind her.

        "I hate you!!" Adonis heard Σοφία say from outside.

***********************************************************************

The name Galena is a girl's name of origin meaning "calm" and "healer".

The name Galen is a boy's name of Greek origin meaning "calm, healer". Many will associate this name with Galen of Pergamon, the second-century physician considered to be the founding father of medicine.