Chapter 6: History

Sōkrátēs looked up at the sky in awe and wonder. 

        "What's wrong?" Σοφία, Sōkrátēs' wife, asked, "You should go to bed, it's late.

        "What is the meaning...behind our lives?"

        "What is this nonsense?!" Σοφία shouted, "You live because the gods want us to. They created us!"

        Σοφία stared at Sōkrátēs in disbelief as Sōkrátēs kept staring into the sky.

        "Get into bed already..." Σοφία turned away and walked into the house.

        Then why did the gods create us? What is our purpose on this Earth? Sōkrátēs stood up and walked into the house, still pondering the thought.

        The next day, Sōkrátēs immediately woke up and went to Ἀχλύς.

        "Good morning, Ἀχλύς!" Sōkrátēs tapped on her shoulder.

        "What the hell are you doing here?!" Ἀχλύς looked at Sōkrátēs with an irritated glare, "It's 6 in the morning, for god's sake."

         "Yes, I know-"

        "Get back to bed!" Ἀχλύς growled.

        "Then why aren't you sleeping?" Sōkrátēs asked.

        "I'm praying to the gods..."

        "I thought you didn't believe in gods?" Sōkrátēs looked at Ἀχλύς, "Have you become a changed woman?" Sōkrátēs laughed.

        Ἀχλύς looked up at Sōkrátēs, then closed her eyes in silence.

        "Hey, are you listening?" Sōkrátēs tapped her shoulder again.

        "Yes, I am!" Ἀχλύς shouted at Sōkrátēs, "Now get out or you'll never see the light of day again."

        Sōkrátēs walked out of her room, "I swear, something's really wrong with that woman..."

        "Never swear to the gods." Sōkrátēs heard Σοφία say in a vexed voice.

        "O-oh...hi Σοφία."

        "What are you doing so early up?" Σοφία asked, trying to keep control of her anger.

        "I was-"

        "By the way, I'm pretty sure I told you never to go near that lady. She's cursed." Σοφία glared at Sōkrátēs.

        "Y-yeah...I know." Sōkrátēs stuttered, "I just wanted to talk with her." Sōkrátēs looked around as if trying to avoid the situation he got into.

        "Come on, we're going back to bed."

        Sōkrátēs remembered Ἀχλύς's face when he saw her. She looked as if she was staying up all night. Even if she was praying to the gods, why was she staying up all night? Sōkrátēs asked himself. What kind of gods is she worshiping? Sōkrátēs closed his eyes, trying to get more sleep.

        The next day, Sōkrátēs walked into the pyramid and met Galena there. 

        "Morning," Galena said.

        "What are you doing in here?" Sōkrátēs asked Galena, who was crouched on the stage, praying.

        "Praying, obviously." Galena giggled.

        "No, I mean, why are you here? I don't see you in here very often." Sōkrátēs asked.

        "Same goes for you."

         "Just answer my question."

        "Well, lately, I was hired for a maintenance job in a facility. It's really hard for me to work there and I can't seem to keep up with my boss' requirements. I just hope I can find a better job that's more fit for me." Galena explained.

        "Oh..." Sōkrátēs responded, clearly deep in thought.

        If Galena...and Ἀχλύς... Sōkrátēs' face lit up.

        "Found out something? Not surprised. You always seem to be thinking whether you're eating or sleeping. So, want to tell me this new discovery?" Galena opened her eyes and looked at Sōkrátēs.

        "W-why..why don't you try a hospital job?" Sōkrátēs turned to Galena and asked.

         "Well, I could try. What's with the sudden suggestion?" Galena asked, clearly confused by Sōkrátēs' thinking.

        "Well, I thought...everyone's names...just kind of remind me of their personality," Sōkrátēs said.

         "Hm, not sure. What about Σοφία? She doesn't seem to represent wisdom..." Galen thought.

        Sōkrátēs laughed before saying, "Yes, she is, she just doesn't know how to show everyone that she's wise. After all, there is no job that includes wisdom. She DOES talk to the gods, though."

        "Mmm..true, I guess", Galena responded.

        "I should probably head back," Sōkrátēs pointed to the entrance of the pyramid, "she's waiting for me."

      Galena nodded and continued to pray.