Chapter 17: The Call

Ἀχλύς's pov

        Dad paced around in the lab and sighed. I jumped as the phone ring tone sounded. Dad ignored it and continued to pace around. The ring tone kept ringing and the more it rang, dad seemed to be more irritated. 

        "D-dad are you okay?" I tried to go to dad but then backed away in fear. I've never seen dad this mad before. He was always a cool person and never lost his cool in the worst scenarios.

        "Shut. Up." Dad looked at me with his furious eyes.

        "What happened?" I asked out of concern.

        "I know she did something." Dad continued to pace around the room, "I know she did. I don't know what though."

        "Who?" I asked, "You mean Ker?"

        "Yes, Κῆρες." Dad looked at me again with his angry eyes, "She did something bad. Something that makes her live up to her name."

        "How do you know?" I asked dad, "Was it the way she acted or sounded? She sounded pretty normal to me..." I shrugged my shoulders.

        Dad paused to look at me and then closed his eyes and shook his head.

         "No...she..." Dad paused again, "She had eyes of death."

        "Death..." I thought about it then it finally came to my head, "What?! Eyes of death?!!" I shouted, "Are you saying you really do believe those legends?"

        Does he really? If he does...then that means he hates me too. Why did he act as he loved me all this time? I looked at dad fearfully.

        "No." Dad responded.

        "Then why-"

        The phone rang again. Dad stomped over to the phone and picked it up furiously. I watched him close his eyes with irritation and opened them again. I could tell he was trying to keep his anger and control it.

         "WHAT!!" Dad clearly didn't control his anger.

        I watched as dad held the phone in his hands and waited there with furious eyes. He was still trying to control himself.

        I heard a static voice from the phone. I watched dad's eyes shift to me. He clicked the mute button and walked over to me.

        "It's Ker." He said to me quietly, "I think you should listen in. Make sure you record, too. I want every piece of evidence I can get."

        I looked at dad with worry and fearfulness. He really does believe in the legends... I sighed and looked back down at the ground. I nodded slowly and felt dad pat me on the back and walk back to the phone and pick it up.

        "Make sure you don't miss anything," Dad said. I looked up at his eyes and they were full of anger, "Go."

        I rushed upstairs and dialed into the call, recording everything like dad told me to do. I gave dad a signal that I was ready. I can't believe I'm turning against my own sister.

        I heard dad sighed in the call and he said, "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

        Should I just stop recording this? What if Ker really does say something bad? I shook my head and cleared my mind. She would never. There's no way...

        "My dad died." I heard Ker say from the other end of the phone.

        I gasped and put my hand over my mouth with shock. Dad...dad died?! I sat on my bed, still sitting there with shock and surprise. Oh no... I narrowed my eyes to try and look downstairs at dad. I bet dad's going to think she killed dad. This is such bad timing, Ker. I hope you'll be okay. I wish you the best of luck. I tried to say to Ker.