Back on land

Percy was walking along the sea floor.  He’d just been walking in a straight line, no particular destination in mind.  He knew he didn’t want to go to Posieden’s Palace, he still wasnt ready to face the Gods or their children yet.  He walked for a long time.  He ignored the fish that swam about him, vying for his attention.  He steered himself past the Cyclopes forges that glowed dimly on the distance.

He walked for days that turned into weeks. The seas fed him enough energy to stay alive.  His mind was clouded, and he was beginning to get a headache from the fish that hung around him constantly.  He began to turn back to land, some part of his subconsciousness wanting him to return ‘home’, even though the scarred boy considered himself more or less homeless.  He was mildly surprised when he realized how far he’d gone.  He entered his father’s domain in new york, he would enter back on land in Georgia.  

His mind was still dull and clouded with grief by the time he stepped out of the ocean.  He stepped out onto the sand, completely dry, and kept walking.  Stars shone brightly in the sky, he left the sand behind him and entered into a densely wooded area, he continued walking for miles through the forest.  Without the sea to supply him with energy, he realized he wouldn’t be able to continue on his trek without rest and some food.  

He leaned heavily against a large pine tree as he scanned his surroundings.  Any weapons?  Nope, well, that branch over there might do in a pinch.  Any food?  He noticed a wild blackberry bush, better than nothing.  He wearily made his way to the bush, picking some of the juicy berries.  By the time he was done, his hands were trickling blood and stained a light purple.  Next, he needed to find somewhere to rest.  Sadly, there were no abandoned cabins nearby.  He had enough survival skills to know that sleeping on the ground was a very bad idea.  With the meager amount of strength the blackberries lent him, he climbed up an old, sturdy pine tree and nestled himself in the branches before falling into a fitful slumber.

He was awoken just after dawn by the sound of rushing feet on the forest floor.  If not for his quite impressive demigod hearing, he wouldn’t have heard the incoming (possible) threat at all.  He watched warily as the footsteps came closer.  He could tell now that one set was bi-pedial while the other ran on four paws.  

A few moments later, he was greeted by the sight of a fifteen-year-old-looking boy running alongside a fairly large English Setter.  Percy was content to stay in the tree while they passed, he wasn’t in the mood for human interaction of any sort or any dog interaction.  Just because the fates hate him, it had to be an English setter traviling with the boy.  The English Setter is a water-based dog.  Somehow, that gave it the power to communicate with the children of Poseidon.  Percy considered this deplorable.

Sadly, Percy wouldn’t be allowed to escape the pair without any altercations.  The dog ran over to the tree and started to jump and bark. ‘WHO ARE YOU?! ARE YOU A RACOON?!  THE BOY WILL GET YOU!!!’  Percy pressed his lips into a thin line, maybe the kid would just pull his dog away without noticing him.  Sadly, the fates had other plans, like they always do where Percy is concerned.  

The kid reached around and unzipped his backpack, pulling out a small-ish handgun.  The kid trained it up at the tree without hesitation.  Percy’s eyes widened when the kid shouted, “You better go ahead and hop down from there!”  When Percy didnt move, as he knew the kid couldnt see him, the boy yelled once more, “I said, GET DOWN! Imma start lighting up that there tree, and youll get down real quick if’n you know whats good for ya!” 

Percy sighed and rolled out of the tree, he wasnt looking to get shot.  The kid kept the gun trained at percy, who raised his hands and sighed.  The dog stopped barking and went to stand beside the kid before sitting down.  The kid glanced down at his dog, raising an eyebrow before lowering his gun, “Seems like Buckwheat here likes you, you look like shit.”