hallucinations and hope

Percy, true to his word, was awake before Roy ever arrived.  He crawled out of the fort and entered into the fresh Georgian air.  He started walking with the sun on his back, his hands stuck deep into his pockets, the sun at his back.

Percy, once again, walked until the point of collapse.  He searched briefly for a safe space to sleep for a few hours.  He knew he wouldn't be able to sleep long because of his nightmares, but four and a half days of constant walking do a number on you.  He soon found a small grove of trees along a creek.  He settled himself among the roots before falling into a fitful slumber.

He blinked.  Bucky? How had Bucky managed to find him?  Percy stood up, disentangling himself from the roots of the tree.  He started to apologize, “Bucky, look- I’m so sor-'' Bucky took a step closer to Percy, a dangerous glint in his eyes.

Petcy took a small step back, tripping on a tree root.  Before he hit the ground, a pair of arms stopped his fall.  It was nico.  Percy glanced back at Bucky, who'd frozen, staring at percy.  Suddenly, the arms supporting the boy let go.  Percy stumbled but was able to keep himself from falling.  “Nico?  Why-why are you here? I-'' Nico stopped Percy's apology, his eyes glowing in balck rage.  Both Nico and Buck started to creep towards Percy.  Percy felt himself tense, this wasn't looking good, but he wouldn’t let his instincts take over and hurt his friends

Bucky glared hard at Percy, “You abandoned me!  You were nothing more than a burden to me.”  His face twisted into a condescending sneer, “That's right, the team just took you on as a charity case.  They were waiting for the right time to use you again, make you a loyal little lap dog to bark t their enemies!”

Percy's eyes started to water, “N-no, that's not true, they wouldn't use me like that-”

He was cut of by Nico’s ice-cold laugh.  “You-”  He gasped for breath, “You actually believe that?  Why do you think I went to the tower?  We were discussing how they could gain your trust, of course!”  His eyes turned ever darker than before, “Why would you think you deserve anything other than to be used?”  He stepped closer to Percy, just an inch away form his face.  “It's your fault, all your fault! My sister, any friend I never had, you killed them!”  When percy flinched, he continued, “Oh, yes.  Maybe you didn't kill them directly, but it was your fault all the same.  You let them die.  You could have stopped their deaths but you just stood by and let them die… Die for YOU!!!”   

THe boy swung his pale fist at Percy's face, connecting solidly with his nose.  A sickening crunch was heard.  Percy’s head spun while his ‘friends’ shot insults at him, it was made worse by the fact he knew it was all true.  He curled into a ball, trying to cover his eyes.  He felt the blows to his side, saw the shiny combat boots and worn converse that flew at his face.  Tears were streaming down his face opened his eyes to see-

He blinked.  Was that all a dream?  The sun was shining brightly in the sky, a few feet away a horse nibbled on the green grass.  Neither nico nor bucky was anywhere to be seen.  He didn't have any fresh bruises on his sides from shoes.

He took in a shaky breath and ran a hand through his unkempt hair.  He noticed with some displeasure that it was now chin length.  He sat up and stared into the creek.  It was all just a dream, it didn't really happen.  He sighed and stood up.  He quickie washed his face off in the creek, appreciating the small bit of energy it gave him.  Enough to walk another mile or two anyways.

And so he did.  Putting one foot in front of the other he began to walk away from his resting spot.   Days and nights continued to blur for percy, a single moment lasted an eternity, but an hour passed much too fast.  Before too long, he walked by a large sign, welcoming him to Tennessee.  

Percy soon found a secluded spot across the border.  He sat down heavily on a patch of soft green grass.  Burying his face in his hands, he sighed heavily.  He felt as if he was trying to carry the weight of the world once again, but this time he had no annabeth to fight for.  Percy couldn't help but feel disgusted by himself.  Savior of Olympus, running away from all his problems.  Running away because...because he couldn't handle it anymore.  Waves of self-condemnation washed over him, but he made no attempt to put up a dam against the toxic thoughts.  He’d abandoned everyone.  His mother, Paul, Bucky, Tarkus.  Just….percy felt so lost.  

Percy continued sitting in the grass as the sun lowered from its watchful place in the sky, begrudgingly allowing the moon to watch as twilight overcame the world.

Percy didn't notice the change of the light as he sat there, lost in his thoughts.  He failed to notice the twinkling stars, far above his head.  

He didn't notice when a certain constellation shimmered brightly. He didn't notice as it once more took the form of a young woman in a silver coat.  He didn't notice as she walked down the starry staircase to earth.  He was so lost in thought that he missed her taking her first breath in years. The girl walked confidently up to Percy, unnoticed.  She knelt down in the grass, staring sadly at the man that the boy had become.

The starry figure tossed a small pebble at the man’s forehead, chuckling softly at the confused look that crossed his face.  Within a couple of seconds, his face showed confusion, surprise, awe, and guilt.  It finally settled on a completely dumbfounded expression.  “Z-zoe?”  The girl smiled kindly at him before gently whacking the side of his head.    

“Perseus Jackon!”  She admonished lightly, “What are you doing to yourself? Annabeth never would have wanted you to live this way.”  Percy nodded adly, and Zoes face turned to urgency.

“I’m sorry Percy, but I didnt just come here to talk.  I have ome very grave news to give.”

Percy looked apprehensive, but nodded for her to continue.

“You must go back to the avengers.  Very soon they will face a threat they cannot defeat on their own.  Only you are able to help them.  I’m so sorry to lay this on your shoulders.”

Percy’s eves suddenly hardened in determination.  “I’ve caused enough heartbreak.  I won't standby while my friends are killed.  Especially when I could prevent it.”

Zoe disintegrated back to stars, and percy took a step closer to the avengers, to bucky.