A Lost Puppy

Natasha’s POV

It seems like that kid has been through a lot.  Greek gods being real is a little strange, but we already knew of the Norse, and have met many other ‘fictional’ creatures.  Leading two wars… it's no wonder he has PTSD. 

He isn't a terrorist, but he is still not safe to just be wandering around the streets.  I mean, both his mental and physical state seems to be very precarious.  If the rest of the team agrees, I think we should keep him here for a while, until he recovers.  He obviously won't join the team as an avenger, once again, I don't think his fragile mental state could handle it. 

Our team might be able to help him heal though.  Unlike his mother, we have experience in things such as PTSD and survivor's guilt.  He will have to stay a couple of days for the drugs to completely leave his system anyway.  He’s had WAY too much sedative. The rest of the team was situated in the meeting room. 

“I think,” I said, “That we should keep Percy here.”

Surprisingly, Tony was the first to agree, “Yeah. He should stick around, maybe we could help him.” 

Steve piped in, “We’d have to get his mother to agree.” 

We all lapsed into silence until Bruce suggested we just call her.   I redialed the number Percy had called earlier. 

The woman picked up on the first ring, “Percy, baby, is that you?” 

Steve answered, “No ma’am, this is Steve Rodgers, but I am calling about your son.” 

The woman sighed “Where is he? Is he ok? The last time I talked to him, he sounded very...Off.” 

Steve answered, “He is at the Avengers tower, he is fine.  We brought him in and discovered about him being a demigod.”

The woman on the phone said “Ok, is he coming home?” 

Steve looked nervous, “That's actually what I called you about.  We discovered that Perseus had severe PTSD and survivor’s guilt.  We have experience with those kinds of things and would like to keep him here if that's ok with you.”

The line was silent for a moment. 

“I think that might be best.  I love him, but I don’t know what to do.  He hasn't been the same science the giant war.  Annabeth died and it's like he lost a piece of his soul.   If you think you can help him, I'm ok with it.” 

Steve assured the woman and thanked her, he told her someone would be by soon to pick up Percy’s stuff.  She hung up.

Tony looked at me, “So, we’re keeping him?” 

I looked at Tony and nodded. 

“Well,” he said, if he’s staying, he’ll need a real room.” 

I nodded again, “Who's going to break the news to him, not Thor.” 

Tony, surprisingly, volunteered. 

“Remember,” I said, “It’ll take a couple of days for the drugs to leave his system so he’ll probably be kind of groggy for the next couple of days.  On the bright side, he’ll also be a lot calmer too.” 

Tony nodded and went to talk to Percy.  I walked off to find Wanda, I hadn't seen her since she passed out with Percy.

When I finally found her, she was in her room.  The lights were off and she was curled up on the couch in a blanket with a carton of ice cream in her lap.  She was watching a sad romance movie and crying. 

I went and sat down beside her, “Hey, what's wrong?”

She looked at me and said, “That boy.  When I tried to put him into his fears, I was pulled into a memory instead.” 

I was curious, judging from the scars, I would guess he has some pretty crappy memories.  I wondered what exactly she had seen.

“He-he was in a dark, dark place.  The air itself was poison.  He and another girl, Annabeth, were chained to the wall, and-and-a…''

I shushed her, “Hey, it's Ok, you don't have to say anything.”

Wanda cried, “It was just so bad, the worst thing I’ve ever seen.” 

I hugged Wanda.  “We’re going to be keeping him for a while, we think maybe we can help him get over his past.”

Wanda nodded as she sobbed into my chest.

Peter’s POV

    I was headed back to the tower now.  I had to go back home during lunch.  I left just as they were arguing about who was going to take food to Percy.  I wonder what’s happened since I've been gone.  I entered the tower and ran into Tony.  He filled me in on what had been happening.

Wow. 

A lot. 

A lot had been happening.  Apparently, Percy’s a war vet, and the son of the Greek god, Poseidon.  I guess that's why he had a thing for greek mythology. 

And apparently, he attacked Thor with this pen.  And his pen turns into a sword!?  Tony also said something about giving him even more sedative.  He’s been doped up nearly the whole time he’s been here. 

Finally Tony told me that they are keeping him.  Like a lost puppy.  Tony told me what room he was staying in and said the sedative would take a couple of days to wear off completely, and he would be a little out of it.

I took the elevator up to Percy's room.  He was sharing a floor with  Bucky and Steve.  Scott’s room was also on this floor, but he rarely ever stayed at the tower.  I went to Percy's door and knocked.

No answer. 

I knocked louder and still got no reply. 

“FRIDAY,” I said, “Is Percy in there?”

He was in there. 

I asked if he could hear me, she responded affirmatively.  I knocked again. 

He still didn't answer.  I asked FRIDAY what he was doing. 

She answered, “It appears that Percy is staring at the door.”

I asked FRIDAY, “Would you please ask him why he’s not answering the door?”

She was silent for a moment before responding, “He wishes to know who’s asking.”

I told her to tell him it was Peter, from school.  She was silent and did not reply.

“Well,” I asked, “What did he say.”

The voice in the wall said, “He responded: ‘Oh, okay.’” 

I was starting to get frustrated, “Please tell him to open the door.”

She replied after only a couple of moments, “He said, ‘no’.” 

I told FRIDAY to open the door.  She said she wouldn’t, as Percy had asked her not to.  I knocked one more time before walking away in defeat.