Xiao Zhan 2

"Pa, have you seen a doctor? You look like you've lost a lot of weight."

Zhan's dad shook his head in a light chuckle.

"Pa, how about I book you an appointment and go with you."

Again, Zhan's dad refused.

"Ok Pa, then we'll go on this trip next month ok?"

This time, his dad nodded his head with gleeful eyes.

Zhan was happy, he felt contented, and he was sure his parents would enjoy the trip he planned.

It was 10am when Zhan's phone rang while he was at work, that's odd. Hardly anyone calls Zhan's private phone number. He picked up the phone and stood still, his phone dropped.

Zhan rushed home to see his wailing mother hugging an unmoving father.

"I-i-I thought your dad was unwell and did not wake him up" Zhan's mother wailed.

"But he rarely sleeps so late so I started nudging him, and his body was cold." Zhan's mother wailed again.

Zhan fell on the floor, nudging his dad. Zhan's heart was broken. He loved his dad. And he loved him a lot. He gently caressed his dad's face as tears streamed down his cheek.

his dad passed away with a smile on his face.
Did his dad go happy? Was his dad happy with his life? Zhan pondered over and over again.

"Your dad told me last month, that if he goes, cremate him directly, he doesn't want a service whereby he lies in a wooden box, he hates to be confined."

Zhan's mother stuttered amidst her crying.

Zhan did a simple service and cremated his dad, but he was broken. His dad will never see the Sakuras in Japan. He'd never come home to his cooked food, his dad waiting up for him.

He was too late in repaying his dad, and now he'll never get to repay him ever again.

One consolation he had was, his siblings showed up. He was glad that his dad had his family by his side to send him off.

Shuang being a married housewife, helped Zhan keep his mother company while Zhan went back to work.