Prologue

[ Y/n ]

My eyes hurt adjusting to the bright sun so early in the morning. Max happily chatted next to me, telling me about how he had snagged $35 from his stepdad's wallet.

I hugged his arm and mindlessly hummed as he talked.

"Here we are!"

I looked up at and smiled. Max can't afford nice things but I think the gas station has great options for dates.

We walked inside and I started looking for something to eat.

I was a little annoyed Max had gotten me up so early but I noticed the fresh bruises on his wrists and rib cage from last night. I knew his stepdad did weird things with him so I was never really mad at him for wanting to spend all his time with me.

I love Max. He's the love of my life. I know it.

He held something up and I looked at it.

"Think these would fit?" He giggled.

I rolled my eyes and took the toy handcuffs, placing them back on the shelves.

Max rubbed my shoulders and laughed to himself.

I grabbed my favorite snacks and drinks, making sure to keep track of how much this was going to cost. Max had wandered off to the other side of the gas station so I made my way back over to him.

He was talking to a girl so I slowed down to listen to their conversation before jumping in.

"I love your shirt... It looks great on you. And your hair is so cute."

"Thanks. This is my favorite shirt and... I don't really do anything to my hair."

The girl laughed and Max stared at her. "You're so cute! What's your name?"

I walked over and put my food into the basket Max was holding. His face lit up and he kissed my cheek. I smiled and gave him a small kiss.

"This is my girlfriend, Y/n."

The other girl's face dropped and she stuck her hands her her pockets. "Find what you wanted?" I asked. Max hummed and reached over the girl.

He grabbed a bag of Goldfish and then nodded.

We walked up to the register and set the basket on the counter. "Early for you two." Liam, the cashier, mumbled.

"It's an important day." Max commented. "Oh yeah?" Liam replied.

Max nodded and he looked down at me. "It's the anniversary of the first time Y/n let me hit it."

"Shut up. No it isn't." I pushed Max and he laughed. Liam rolled his eyes and rang us up. "$20.49"

Max handed him a 20 and a 1.

"Keep the change."

"You're so generous." Liam mumbled.

Max grabbed our stuff and we walked outside. We like to sit behind the gas station so that's where we headed.

We sat on the curb and Max handed me my stuff. "Thank you." He nodded and kissed my forehead. I smiled and leaned my head on his shoulder.

"What are we going to do today?" I asked.

Max sighed and took a bite of his honey bun. "Probably just walk around. Is that ok?" I nodded and he continued to eat.

. . .

After we finished Max and I walked towards the woods. We like exploring the woods. It's a lot of fun and there's a lot of random shit everywhere.

"Hold on."

He bent over and started throwing up. I rubbed his back and he stood back up. "You ok?" I asked. Max nodded and kept walking.

I know Max is bulimic but don't know how to address it. Every time I bring it up he just says it's normal for him and it's not a problem or anything.

"You're quiet." I commented.

I looked up and Max ran his fingers through his curls.

"It's just..." he sighed and shook his head. "It doesn't matter, my love. It was just a stupid fantasy."

"What?"

Max looked down at me and caressed my cheek. "I would do anything for you." He whispered. I nodded and held his hand.

Max had this look in his eyes... I couldn't really figure out what that look meant.

He smiled and laughed, looking away.

"What a thought..." He mumbled.

"You gonna tell me what it was?" I pressed.

Max kissed my head and started walking away. "Maximus Nathaniel Blaine. Tell me what you're thinking right now."

"Don't call me that." He whined.

"Maximus Nathaniel Blaine, Maximus Nathaniel Blaine, Maximus Nathaniel Blaine-"

"I want to run away with you!"

I stopped and stared at him. "It was a stupid, crazy thought... I just want to get away from my stepdad. But that's not fair to you."

I smiled and leaned my head on his shoulder. "Where would we go?"

Max shook his head and pulled away from me. He threw up and I watched him. Max pulled out a water he'd brought and drank from it.

"Y/n I just... I don't want to talk about it." He whispered.

"Why?"

"Because I want to go! And I know you don't! And it breaks my fucking heart knowing that one day my stepdad is going to touch me and it's going to be the last straw and I'm going to leave. I love you so fucking much but my life is hell. I want to go fucking anywhere but here. And I want to go with you. I love you so fucking much and yet... And yet..."

"I'm not enough to numb the pain your stepdad causes."

"I- I mean... You make me so happy it's just-"

"Baby it's ok. I'm not upset."

He hugged me and started crying. "I'm so fucking mad. I hate my family so much, Y/n. Why did they have to make this so hard for us."

I rubbed his back and rested my head against his. "It's okay, my love... It's okay."

He hiccuped and stood up. I watched as he wiped his tears away and sighed.

"I would give you the perfect life." He whispered.

I smiled and held his hands.

"I know you would."