12

[ Y/n ]

Max had found some torn canvases outside that I sewed back together. He took a glass, filled it with water, snagged some cheap paints and brushes from the lobby, and handed it all to me.

"You want me to paint something?"

He nodded and I laughed, shaking my head. "Max..."

"You were in AP painting. I got you... stuff."

I sighed and leaned in, kissing him.

"Thank you."

.  .  .

"They're serving lunch." I looked over and Max set down some things he'd found laying around. "Alright." I set my paintbrush in the cup and stepped back.

"That's really really good." Max sighed.

"It's literally just a field." I looked over at him and he motioned to it. "But it's a good field! Mine would've been like-" Max started finger drawing in the air and I couldn't help but grin at him.

"I'm starving."

I grabbed his hand and opened the door. We walked out and Max led me to the food. When we walked in, I could feel the stares and the whispers.

Max wasn't shy. He could talk to almost anyone. He grabbed two plates and handed one to me. He started grabbing food and putting it on both of our plates,

He then led me over to a free table and immediately started eating.

"Uh, hi." Max and I looked up and three people stood in front of us.

"Hi." Max wiped his mouth on his sleeve and we looked up at the group. "Are you guys new here?" Max nodded and took another bite.

"What're your names?" They all sat down and I grabbed his hand.

"I'm-"

Max froze and I looked at him.

"Bobert."

My eyes widened and I looked back at them. 

"I'm Y/n."

Max squeezed my hand and I glanced over at him.

"Cool name... Never heard of a guy named Bobert."

Max nodded and pushed my plate closer to me. I started to eat and the three of them watched us. "So, what do you guys do?"

"Y/n is a painter and I make... sculptures. With... Random shit."

Max was good at lying. I'd believe him I think... It looks like they believe him.

"Well I'm Bianca. I'm a photographer. This is Raphael, he's a traditional sculptor. And finally you have Kiro, he... What the fuck do you do Kiro?"

"I'm a digital artist."

"He only draws nsfw things so don't let him catch you doing the dirty because he'll make a Reddit post on it."

Everyone laughed and I looked over at Max. He looked happy as he continued talking to these people. Happier than he ever did back home.

.  .  .

I went back up to the room to finish the painting while Max stayed and chatted. I didn't realize how late it had gotten by the time I finished and looked back at the clock.

Half past two.

I looked around and blinked a few times. I'd been staring at this painting for so long...

Where's Max?

I opened the door and looked around. The lights in the hall were off and the building was silent. I bit my lip and closed the door.

It'll be alright, right?

I laid down and sighed, trying to get comfortable.

My heart was pounding and I was starting to hear every little noise that was usually masked by Max's breathing or sleep mumbles.

He'll be back soon, it's Max...

.  .  .

I was startled awake when Max collapsed onto his mat.

"Max?"

I retorted at the smell and stared at him. He was obviously covered in dirt and his clothes were in tatters.

"Max? Are you ok? What happened."

He didn't respond and I felt my eyes fill with tears. "Where were you?! Are you ok? Max!"

He sat up and I tried to look at his face. I placed my hands on his cheeks

"What happened? What did they do to you?"

Max grabbed my wrists and shook his head, "Just leave it, Y/n/n. Go to bed." He sounded... Different. And not in a good way.

. . .

The next morning he was gone again.

I walked down to the cafe but only new faces were there so I headed back upstairs. I looked out the window at the end of the hall and noticed thick woods.

It was a beautiful scene so I copied as best as I could by memory and walked back into the room. I grabbed another canvas and paintbrush, I need to relax.

This time Max came home earlier and he had cleaned himself up.

"I'm sorry about last night. They took me to a shitty party and then said some stuff that pissed me off because I wanted to leave..."

I turned and looked at him.

His voice was still off. This just wasn't right but I couldn't tell why.

"Alright... I forgive you. But go take a shower. You stink."

Max grinned and kissed my cheek, running downstairs to shower. I turned back to my painting and tried to remember what I was working on.