16

[ Y/n ]

I played with my necklace and watched as Max slept peacefully next to me. I think everyone is asleep now and I'm starving.

I got out of bed and peeked out the door. It was dark.

I slowly left the room and crept down the stairs. Everything was so unfamiliar. I couldn't stop myself from trembling.

I took a few deep breaths and continued to the kitchen. I looked around before opening a cabinet and grabbing a granola bar.

Lucky find.

I turned and was stopped by a tall figure. My eyes widened and he grabbed my necklace. "Looks expensive." He mumbled.

I tried to pull it away but he pulled me forward. I choked for a moment and prayed it wouldn't break.

"Please... Please let go." I whispered fearfully.

He had deep brown eyes that almost looked black. "You're fresh. I can smell it on you. You haven't even been claimed yet. What if I just..." he leaned down and I felt his hot breath on my neck.

He pulled the chain and it snapped, parts clattering on the floor.

I wanted to shove him off, to run away and make a scene so someone would help me. He broke it. He broke the necklace. What Max gave me. It meant so much to me. I wanted to do something, anything.

But I was frozen.

"Logan."

He stopped and stood up. I looked over at the new male who was giving him a harsh glare. "I think you should go pack your things."

He scoffed and I bent down, picking the parts of the necklace off the floor.

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The boy walked away and the new guy rushed over. "Are you okay? Did he hurt you? Let me see your neck. I'll be gentle. Do you want me to get Io? Who's your partner?"

"M- B- Bobert." I managed to whimper.

"Alright. Stay right here. It's ok." He ran out of the kitchen and I rubbed the back of my neck. The granola bar was on the floor but I felt too sick to eat now.

A moment later Max was in the kitchen, holding my cheeks. "Are you ok? I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so, so, so, sorry." He rubbed my cheeks with his thumbs and stared at me.

I looked down and opened my hands, revealing the broken parts.

Max looked down and I started to cry.

"It's ok! Y/n, I don't care about the necklace. I care about-"

"I didn't want it to break. I loved it so much." I whispered.

Max sighed and lightly kissed my forehead. "Come on."

.  .  .

I laid in bed and stared at the dresser while Max was outside talking to someone.

I could only slightly hear their conversation. Something about needing to hurry up and claiming. Whatever that meant.

The door opened and Max came inside. He shut the door and sighed. He walked over and laid down with me. Max wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer to him.

"I'm so sorry. I love you so much, Y/n. You don't know how horrible I feel."

I nodded and he kissed my head.

"I promise I'll never let anything like that happen to you ever again."

.  .  .

"Here... I know someone who can fix your necklace. And it'll be even better than before. Alright? Let me see your neck."

He lifted my hair and I winced as he ran his finger over the cut I had. "Sorry... Anyways, let me go give this to her and I'll be right back."

Max left the room and I looked around. It's a nice place. But the people... I'm even more nervous now. That guy from last night was nice. He looked like an older version of Max's little brother.

"I'm back." Max smiled and walked over. He grabbed the two stuffed animals and picked them up.

"Hi Victor, I'm Oliver. How do you like your new home? Oh I like it a lot, Oliver. Especially the comfy bed we get to sleep on. But I'm just so happy that our mom is back with us. I like it when our mom and dad sleep with each other. Mhm, and I definitely think Y/- I mean mom should feel better because she has dad here to cuddle her and love her and kiss her and give her everything she could ever want!"

I laughed and took the bunny from him. Max looked at the wolf and made the wolf look at him.

I played with its floppy ears and Max got up on the bed.

"You know I love you." He touched my thigh and I nodded.

"And I'm sorry I wasn't there."

I shook my head and Max nodded. "You couldn't have been there. It's not your fault." I whispered. He kissed my knuckles and hugged me.

"I love you. I'm sorry." He sighed.

"Don't be sorry. Don't be sorry." I insisted.

"I promise I'll do better, Y/n. Even if you think it wasn't my fault. I could've been there and stopped it."

I played with his hair and he kissed my shoulder.

"I love you, I love you, I love you." Max whispered.