11

[ Y/n ]

Max wouldn't sit still for anything. He kept crying out and shaking, obviously having nightmares.

Anytime I tried to comfort him he'd push me away.

I tried to waking him up for half an hour without prevail.

"Max! Max!"

Finally, he sat up and stared at me.

"She knew." He whispered. I shook my head out of confusion and grabbed his cheeks. "Who, Max? Who knew what?"

"My mom knew."

I stared at him and he dropped his head. I scooted next to him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders. Max hugged me back, crying into my shoulder.

"My dad... My real one... He wasn't ever there. He didn't care about us. Even after they divorced he refused to come see my brother or I. So my mom married Anthony. It was fine and I liked him for the first couple of months. My brother did too. But then when they got married... Something changed."

His fingers dug into my back and I stared out the large window.

"He wouldn't stop doing weird things. At first it was checking me out. Then it was watching me change. Then he started coming into my room at night and jerking off to me."

I looked up at the ceiling and held him as tightly as I could. Max shook his head and I knew he needed to get it out so I let him continue.

"Then... He started doing it. Actually doing it... To me."

Tears rolled down my cheeks and off my chin. I felt sick. Genuinely sick.

But he wasn't finished.

"One night... I saw my mom in the doorway. And I reached out for her. Begging her to save me. I thought... I thought she'd come in and throw him off me and call the cops... But she turned and walked into her room."

I felt my heart break for him. Like actually break.

"I- She- She's such a good mom. I don't know why she did that. I think he abused her. And one day I beat the shit out of him. He punished me that night and I almost killed myself... There were so many times I almost killed myself, Y/n."

I ran my fingers through his hair and tried to stop crying. I didn't want to make him feel like he was playing the victim because he needed to do this.

"I called my dad. And I went to him and I told him what was happening. But he told me if I was a real man I'd know what to do. But I don't know what to do, Y/n. I have no fucking idea what to do."

I pulled away and swallowed the vomit in my throat.

I grabbed his cheeks and made him look at me.

"Max... That isn't your fault. If your parents didn't do anything what were you supposed to do? I can't even imagine how hard that was for you. But you're safe now. He'll NEVER touch you again. You're safe now. Ok?"

He held my shoulders and nodded. We sat there crying for a moment before I hugged him.

I couldn't stand to look at him. The pain and despair in his eyes hurt me more than anything I've ever experienced.

"It's okay now. I promise. I'll always be here for you, Max."

He nodded and I closed my eyes.

How could the world let such a precious human be so violated and let down by everyone who was supposed to be there for him?

. . .

I woke up to Max carefully caressing my face. I grinned and he leaned down, kissing me. "They have a breakfast table downstairs. I snagged some stuff. Here."

He sat down and pulled some food off of the table behind me. He set down a muffin and eggs as well as a coffee.

"Thank you." I smiled. He kissed my cheek and I laid my head on his shoulder. I started eating and laced my fingers into his with my free hand.

I thought about what he had told me last night and swallowed my bite.

I looked up at Max and he was staring down at me.

I put a hand on his cheek and pulled him down to kiss me. We kissed for a moment before he pulled away and brushed some hair out of my face.

"I love you, Max." I whispered.

"I love you too." He replied.