Chapter 11 ~ Practice

"Bombardo!" Edmund whispers and flicks his wand smoothly. We're in a big hall room with lots of space practicing my wand work. He's might be better with attack but I'm quick on my feet. I quickly slip to the left and then behind him. He turns around, wand covering his face. I can see the sweat dripping from his neck and I can feel the sweat on my forehead. Edmund sends another spell flying at me that curves and twists.I'm quick to block it "Protego!" my wand pointing to the ground. I breathe even more heavily. We've always liked a good duel, Edmund and I. We keep going back and forth. I continue to move past him swiftly and calculatedly until Edmund gives up. "You need to stop doing th-that thing" Edmund points aimlessly, which only earns him a smirk from me."You're, eh. You might just win if you slip through the Dragon's sight,"

"Yeah" I stretch the end of the word as I pull one arm.

"I'll see you later," Edmund salutes goodbye and disappears out of the empty hall. The hall has a blue glow with an eerie aura, even though sunlight pours out large oval windows. There is one spell that I still can't do. But it would be beneficial. Nebulus. It creates swirling fog. It sounds like the easiest thing ever, but I can't do it. I raise my wand and whisper "Nebulus" with the correct wand movement. Something glows, but it dies out. "Nebulus" I say again in confidence and a steadier hand. I repeat it until my hand hurts.

The door to the empty hall creaks open, causing me to jump. I turn around to find Cedric Diggory yawning. His eyes meet mine, and I glance away. "I assumed you already left"

"Oh yeah, I just can't get this particular spell right," I clarify, tapping my wand randomly.

"Which one? Maybe I can help," Cedric offers helpfully. I nod. I note the dark circles underneath his grey eyes, doesn't look like he's slept in a while. I don't guess it's good if I bring the topic up.

"The Nebulus spell," I mutter.

"Ah," he nods "Watch carefully" he squints an eye, strolling to stand opposite me. He half extends his arm and moves the wand in a circle and the flicks it "Nebulus" he says serenely. White and Greyish winds start revolving around him and it gets faster and faster, making my hair fly and suddenly my tie. The sudden gush of wind makes goosebumps rise at the back of my neck. The wind then turns into a bright white fog. Cedric directs the whirlpool of fog to the side. He looks so concentrated.His eyes have a settling effect, reassuring in their reflectiveness. Stop it. I criticize myself. I can't think like that. The fog begins to dies out, just as Cedric wants it too. "Got it?"

"Yeah" I nod. No.

He runs his hand through his honey brown hair, which looks as soft as silk."Eyes off," he chuckles. I didn't realise I was staring intently. "You try"

I take a deep breath. Do the correct-ish wand movement. "Who's staring now?"

"I-I wasn't" he shrugs, pretending to look away.

I mutter the spell and a fog sprays out of the tip of my wand, blinding me for a second. But it dies out before I can blink. My jaw tenses and Cedric's face tells me to try again, and so I do.

I can't do the spell; I concentrate and try again; I can't do it.

Cedric almost laughs mockingly, and I just squint my eyes at him playfully. "Here," he whispers, coming to stand behind me. His hand slides on mine. His fingers are soft that perfectly fit with mine, or perhaps it's my brain tricking me. In unison, we move my wand in a circle. I can feel my cheeks turning pink and the rest of my body heating. I then whisper the words. The fog stays this time. "Focus on it, nothing else," he whispers delicately in my ear.

I focus and the fog still stays. "Now imagine it moving to the left," and he drags my arm to the left. The fog doesn't surround us anymore, but stands next to us. "If you want it bigger or smaller, just think about that"

Soon he let go and I already miss the touch of his hands and his head leaning against my own. "Thank you! Thank you, Cedric Diggory" I smile.

"Your welcome, m'lady" he bows twice as a smile forms on his lips.

The door creaks open for the second time again. Both Cedric and I swiftly move to put more distance between us.

It's my brother

~

"You look cheery!" Fred raises an eyebrow suspiciously.

"For someone who has to fight a dragon," George continues, mirroring the look on his twin's face.

I sit at the Gryffindor table opposite them both. I fold my arms and rest my elbows on the table. "Oh, you know. Cedric helped me out with a spell," I whisper.

"Are you sure he just helped you out?"

"Oh, come on" I pat George's arm "It's not like that" my smile fades a bit.

"So, what's up with the both of you?" I ask.

Fred and George stare at each other, communicating with their eyes and eyebrows. George looks back at me first. My heart beat increases a little. Fred desperately tries to hold back a smile as he raises a T-shirt in front of me . . . with my face on it. With words underneath.

I laugh and the twins join along. "You couldn't have chosen a better picture"

"We'll make a lotta money of've this and the other stuff"

"What other stuff?" I stop laughing now.

George pulls out hats, mugs and more T-shirts in yellow and red. I realise Harry's face is on their too. "He's going to be blummin mad when he finds out"

"He'll have too much on his mind to care," Fred shrugs