Chapter 28 ~ The Mandrake Leaf

I was recovering. I could finally walk on my leg without needing assistance. I did limp a little. I was in the common room the next day, talking to Hufflepuffs all day, congratulating me and asking me questions. My mother was here for the second task. I forgot about that when all the nerves consumed all my thoughts. I would be meeting her some time tomorrow. Right now, I rested, regaining my strength. I didn't go down for breakfast today.

It was the weekend, and I had planned to go to Hogsmeade sometime. Megan, Fred, and George were all doing their own thing after I insisted they needn't take care of me. I still wished they stayed.

I pushed myself off the sofa and one of the Hufflepuff boys sitting beside me helped me up. "Thank you," I said, walking to the table where my sweater was. The secret Santa one, I quickly put it on and made my way out of the common room.

I walked through the halls and greeted me with smiles, nods, and hellos. There was so much to do. Meeting with McGonagall, meeting mother, my siblings, checking up on some other friends and Cedric. There was Cedric. Too much time alone and I was so confused. Did he like me? Because I most definitely did. Why did he kiss me, if he's still with Cho? Maybe Edmund was right about him. I hadn't talked to him since yesterday. I buried my face in a hand as I walked thinking about how I fainted. My cheeks turned red at how embarrassing it was, Cedric running towards me.

I thought to make my way down to McGonagall's office, and ask when, if we could begin what she said she could teach me. After seeming like forever, I reached outside her door. I leaned on my good leg and knocked thrice. "Come in". I then pushed the door open with my left hand and closed it behind me.

"Y/n, please, please have a seat" I nodded and slowly sat down, stretching my leg in front of me. "First of all I would like to congratulate you on the second place, and for your bravery and courage in aiding Mr. Potter even after retrieving your friend."

I looked down and then back up, smiling a little "Thank you, thank you - I - don't know what really happened. I just kind of went down there, without thinking"

McGonagall smiles, her eyes crinkling "You know, you really remind me of your father"

"Oh? Do I?" I fumbled with my thumbs.

"Yes. Indeed. You were exactly like your father, exactly. The way you act, think, and the way you sometimes cause trouble with your friends." She laughed and a smile formed on my face. "It's such a shame your father isn't here with us anymore. It must've hurt your mother and Remus - Siriu - it's shame James isn't here, anymore either." she looked down at the desk for a moment, reliving everything. "You and the twins and Megan are exactly like them."

I looked up and back at her with a smile. I loved to get to know about my parents' time at Hogwarts. "Oh! Well, let's not dwell too much on the past. Shall we get started?" McGonagall said putting her hand on the desk, and then putting on her glasses, and searching for something.

I shuffled in my seat, pulling my leg back. McGonagall then faced me and put a few pieces of paper in front of me, and I pulled my chair forwards. McGonagall cleared her throat ". Becoming an Animagus requires a witch or wizard to be skilled in Potions and Transfigurations. In these areas to stand a chance of achieving such a complex transformation." I looked over at the loose parchments. McGonagall raised her eyebrows, "For an entire month – from full moon to full moon to be precise, you will carry a Mandrake leaf in your mouth. If you swallow the leaf or remove it from your mouth at any point, you have to start the whole thing again. You then have to find a "small crystal phial that receives the pure rays of the moon." She then smiles awkwardly.

My mouth opened and then I closed it "Okay - you did this, Professor? Yeah, okay I can do this"

McGonagall then looks at something on her desk, "The next full moon is three days away, and . . . you have four months till the last Triwizard championship."