Chapter 42 ~ Loved ones

The next morning unfolded like a languid dream, the room bathed in soft, diffused light that filtered through the curtains. My eyes fluttered open, and I stretched, relishing the unhurried embrace of slumber. I turned and found Cedric, a captivating enigma in the morning stillness, leaning against the edge of the bed, engrossed in a book. "Good morning, love" he murmured, his voice a velvety whisper that seemed to linger in the air like a secret.

"Good morning, mysterious bookworm," I replied, my voice carrying a playful edge as I propped myself up on my elbow to get a better look at what had captured his attention. "What secrets are you unravelling today?"

Cedric raised an eyebrow, a glint of amusement in his eyes. "Ah, just some ancient spells and hidden enchantments," he said cryptically, his lips curling into a knowing smile. "You know, the usual. So," he said, glancing up at me, "when would you like to train with me again, pretty girl?"

His affectionate nickname for me never failed to make my heart flutter, and I couldn't help but blush. "Well," I began, feigning nonchalance, "I suppose anytime you're willing to put up with me."

Cedric's eyes sparkled with amusement as he leaned closer. "You know I'm always willing to put up with you," he whispered, his lips brushing against mine.

We continued our conversation, the outside world fading into insignificance as we enjoyed each other's company. But beneath the surface, a growing unease gnawed at me. My brother's words echoed in my mind like a haunting refrain. As Cedric pressed for a specific date to resume our training, my heart quickened. I felt a knot tighten in my stomach. I shrugged, "I'll have to check my schedule." It was a feeble attempt to buy myself time, to avoid committing to a training session that my brother had explicitly warned me against.

Cedric's brow furrowed slightly, and he reached out to gently tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. "You seem a bit off, love. Is something bothering you?"

I hesitated, "It's nothing, really,"

You hesitated. You can't afford to do that.

Cedric was perceptive, and his concern deepened. "You can talk to me about anything, you know," he assured me, his fingers tracing soothing patterns on my arm. "I'm here for you."

For a moment, I considered telling Cedric everything—the warnings, the impending tournament. But fear held me back, a nagging voice reminding me that I had promised to stay quiet. I tried to change the subject, but Cedric wasn't easily deterred. He pulled me closer, his voice gentle but persistent. "Is there something you're not telling me, love?" 

There's that question again. 

He's second-guessing me.

Finally, I offered  "Maybe tomorrow for training," I said, deflecting his inquiry. "I just need some time to sort things out."

Cedric didn't push further, but he nodded understandingly. "Alright, tomorrow it is," he agreed, his voice gentle and reassuring.

I excused myself to go to the bathroom, my footsteps heavy with the weight of my deceit. Alone in the bathroom, the anxiety and dread of lying to Cedric overwhelmed me. I leaned against the sink, feeling as if I might throw up. The guilt churned inside me, a turbulent storm of emotions that threatened to consume me whole. I emerged from the bathroom with a forced smile, but the unease that had settled in my stomach must have been visible on my face. Cedric, perceptive as ever, furrowed his brow and regarded me with concern.

"You look a bit pale," he noted. I told him I just needed to shower and eat something. Cedric teased me lightly, trying to inject some levity into the situation. "Don't take too long, or I might start to think you're avoiding me."