Chapter 12 ~ Panic

I sit in the common room, leaning closer to the fire that burned in front of me. My arms on my knees and my fingers knitted together to prevent them from trembling. Two days left. I am not the slightest bit prepared for this. Negative thoughts just floated around in my mind all day. It's been driving me insane cause I can't distract myself. The common rooms empty cause everyone's in class. I asked to be excused because of the tournament and here I was sitting down freaking out instead of doing something.

I stand up quickly, pacing around the common room, putting my hands on my head. At least I'll die trying. My head barks at me. "Stop it!" I yell at myself. "Stop it, stop it," I continue to whisper.

I do this for about a solid ten minutes. During my freakout session, I accidentally knock a glass vase which had daffodils in it. The glass vase falls to the ground, shattering, which lets out a deafening sound.

"Y/n" Megan asks as her backpack slides off one arm. "Are you okay?"

I smile weakly, "No. I'd love to stay and talk but I have to go" I wouldn't want to bother Megan with my feelings that even I can't fully understand. With the announcement, I grab my satchel and jog out of the common room before Megan can stop me.

I walk briskly along the corridors, hoping to reach the library. After the first challenge (if I make it out alive) I will investigate how I got into the championship. Did someone put my name in on purpose?

I enter the library and find an empty spot and sit there. I then pull out all the books I think I needed and start flicking through them. Moments later, I spot Harry, Hermione, Ron and Cleo pass by, whispering secretively. "Great. I've found you" Edmund walks towards you without looking up, completely immersed in a book. "Look I've had an idea"

You nod "Do tell"

Edmund looks behind him and sits down next to you, leaning in to whisper "So, um. I was thinking that to keep you alive. Try getting closer to the other participants. Become friends and whatever they tell you to use it to your advantage." You knit your eyebrows. "All I'm saying is if you know how they plan to strategise, it'll really help you"

You shake your head. "I will not do that. I'm not gonna-"

"You're thinking about it the wrong way," he reasons. I know why he's proposed this idea.

"Edmund-"

"Then what are you supposed to do!" he exclaims, standing up. At once, you rise from your chair as well. "Do you have a better idea?" he then whispers "Cause I don't need you to die, okay?" this comes out rather roughly. "If you know their plan, it'll help you so much"

"I just won't" I cross my arms.

"Why!" he turns to look at me as I turn to stand opposite him.

I then raise my eyebrows "Because I'm not like-" at once I stop as I watch Cleo staring at the both of us as the rest of her friend's chatter away, only Ron trying to comfort her. I'm not like my brother, I'm not like my sister. I don't have their social skills and . . .

He leans on the bookshelf, arms crossed. "Not like what?" Edmund asks in a a breath. When I don't reply, he's caught on. "Um. . ." he mutters, looking at Cleo and then back at me. Cleo hates us fighting, if I haven't mentioned that already. It scares her. She thinks we might leave her cause our dad left us. I understand why. "I - I know she's our sister but I-" Edmund runs his hand through his hair and lets out a prolonged sigh, head in hands. "I-can't keep doing this. I'm trying so hard, not too-"

I put a hand on his arm. "I know, I know," I then signal with a finger for her to come over. She takes her to time to come over. Once she does, I smile at her softly. "I see you worrying over there, Cleo," I begin, and let my brother take over.